37. The Day Before The Newborn Army

Start from the beginning

It wasn't like she was slowly turning human again. She was a vampire, she was always going to be a vampire, and personally, she liked being a vampire.

The rest of the day was filled with Billy cooking them lunch, Jake fussing over Lizzie, and Lizzie trying to remind her boyfriend that she was really perfectly fine.

                                                                   ✦✦✦                                                               

"I don't like it," Damon said out of nowhere.

It was the day before the newborn army was predicted to arrive. Alice had seen them and also seen the exact location they seemed to have chosen for this war. It was perfect in Lizzie's opinion, secluded and away from innocent humans. But it also gave the Cullens and the pack a few complications.

"I'm pretty sure I didn't ask for your permission, Salvatore," Lizzie shot back.

"And I don't remember caring about your consent on things, baby Cullen," Damon pointed out.

"She'll be fine," Jacob cut in.

They were currently situated in Sam and Emily's house with the pack all scattered around the living room. Emily was in the kitchen working on sandwiches and muffins while Sam, Paul, Jared, and Quil busied themselves with watching the game on tv. Leah was curled up in Damon's side with Seth at their feet and Embry was sitting on the back of the couch next to Jacob, who had Lizzie in his lap.

Pack dynamics had changed so much since the last generation of Quileutes. They couldn't stand vampires but here their children and grandchildren were peacefully sitting in a room with them. Two of the wolves had vampire imprints and the rest were all pretty good friends with them. Times had seriously changed.

"You've already taken me out of the fighting, Damon," Lizzie told her great-uncle-something calmly. "You can't stop me from protecting Bella as well. In case you forgot she's not only my brother's La Tua Cantante but she also happens to be my cousin."

"Oh, believe me," Damon scoffed and rolled his eyes, "it's hard to forget."

Jacob kissed Lizzie's shoulder when he felt how tense she was getting. He knew how much she hated being this useless, but he also knew he didn't want anything happening to her. So, despite how he wanted to keep her locked up at home and safe, he couldn't. Lizzie had to at least do something beneficial for this fight or she'd do something stupid and probably get herself hurt.

"Lizzie's going to be with Bella the whole time," Jake interrupted. "They'll be on the mountain with Seth and Edward."

"Besides, Babe," Leah looked up at Damon. "We'll be in control of the fight, we can easily see what's going to happen when the bloodsuckers show up tomorrow."

Damon nodded, immediately calming down and melting with the way his mate was reassuring him. He knew he was being overcautious when it came to Lizzie Cullen but besides Stefan, she was really the only family he had left from his human life.

"Yeah, and we'll rip them apart before they can even think about tracking Bella," Jared added, dragging his eyes away from the screen in front of him.

He looked over at Lizzie and Jacob and grinned, Jacob nodded gratefully and Lizzie sent him a smile. It surprised everyone by how protective Jared had become of his packmate's imprint, he was the one wolf that hated vampires almost as much as the old generation. But that was before he got to know Lizzie, she wasn't what their tribe kept describing leeches and bloodsuckers to be like. She was kind, and funny, and always managed to reach Jared's high level of sarcasm. After a while, the two actually became great friends.