24. La Tua Cantante Is Complicated

Jacob stood up from where he was sitting on the porch

Jacob stood up from where he was sitting on the porch. Lizzie felt overwhelmed by seeing him. Her Jake with his hair cut short and a tattoo on his forearm. Jacob awkwardly scratched the back of his neck as he gave her a small smile.

"Hi, Lizzie."

While she was overjoyed to see him again, especially when he was smiling at her she was still beyond angry at him. In the back of her mind, Lizzie could understand why he did most of what he did. But feelings were still there, hurt and anger. She stepped closer and pushed Jacob in the chest. He stumbled back because months ago she would have been afraid to use her strength but now she didn't care seeing as how he had his own.

"Leech? Really?"

"Lizzie... "

"You couldn't just break up with me?! You had to go and call me that? Like breaking up with me over the phone wasn't bad enough. You had to say that?"

Jacob saw the hurt in her eyes and it broke him. He never wanted this, hurting Lizzie was the last thing he wanted to do. He gently grabbed her arms just enough to stop her from pushing him away again.

"I'm sorry. I had to make sure you wouldn't try and talk to me again. I'm so... so sorry. You have to believe me."

"Just... " she released a shaky breath she didn't have to. "Just answer me truthfully, Jacob. No lies." She met his eyes.

"Of course."

"Did you mean what you said? Any of it? All of it? Those words you said---"

"I didn't," he cut her off. "I swear to you, I didn't."

Lizzie looked down to see the bracelet still around Jacob's wrist right below the scrunchie she gave him. She closed her eyes and before she could let her natural stubbornness take over, she hugged him. She could hear his heartbeat like this, feel it like it was beating in her own chest. She needed the truth.

"Say it again," she whispered. "Did you mean it?"

"I promise you, Lizzie. I didn't mean a word of it."

Jacob's heartbeat was steady just like it always was when the two were together and cuddling. It didn't skip and it didn't slow down or speed up. She deduced not even Jacob Black was that good of a liar to keep his heart rate perfect on purpose and so she sighed in relief. Lizzie pulled away and looked up into his eyes. He had gotten taller with his transformation, not to mention the bulging muscles that were now everywhere. Lizzie tapped the wolf charm on his wrist.

"You kept this," she murmured.

"Of course I did you gave it to me," Jacob whispered back cupping her cheek in his large hand. She melted into the touch feeling not only warm but content. Her eyes slid closed then reopened before she took a quick step back.

"Hurt me like that again and I'll kill you myself," Lizzie threatened.

She could hear the faint laughter from inside the louder of all of them being Damon's. The wolves, aside from Sam and maybe even Embry, didn't like her but they had to admit Jacob being threatened by Lizzie was both sexy as hell and hilarious.