10. Trying Not To Think Is Hard

"Tell me why we're doing this again?" Rosalie asked as she threw the salad bowl onto the kitchen island

"Because this is Edward's first time bringing a girl home, Rose," Esme said, using a gentle tone to try and calm her daughter.

"Is she even Italian?"

"Her name's Bella," Emmett justified. "Come on, babe, one meal that's it."

"I'm sure she'll love it no matter what," Carlisle reassured as he stirred the pasta sauce and added the lettuce to the salad.

Lizzie took the fresh bread out of the oven, rolling her eyes at the complaints of her sister. Esme slapped her hand away as she tried to break a piece off to eat, causing a small whine of 'But Momma' to slip out of Lizzie's mouth. Esme kissed Lizzie's cheek as compensation but still took the bread away. She sighed and let the human food be as she grabbed a coke and a blood bag from the fridge. Quickly Lizzie mixed the two before sipping at it as she watched the rest of her family help prepare dinner.

She was glad Bella confronted Edward, she was even happier when Edward decided to tell Bella instead of chickening out again. Granted Lizzie did somewhat threaten him too, but still. She liked the Chief's daughter a lot, considering her a really good and true friend. It was all just so much easier once the Swan girl found out and the next day Edward and Bella went 'public'. That was last week. Lizzie heard the purr of Edward's Volvo in the driveway as well as the Black Chevy Impala, and a smile spread across her face as the four entered the house.

"Bella, Dean, Sam!" Esme stepped away from the kitchen island. "We're making Italiano for you three."

"Oh, Bon Giorno," Bella said awkwardly feeling caught off guard before giving Lizzie a comfortable smile when her eyes found her.

"Molto Bene," Esme said contently, glancing back at Carlisle with a smile.

Lizzie stepped forward to stand beside her mom. "Don't mind, Momma, Bells. She's just super excited to meet you all." Dean felt more at ease with Lizzie closer to him and Sam. He knew what he was doing, bringing Sam into a household of vampires was dangerous. John would kill him if he knew, but still, Dean couldn't bring himself to care. He had a feeling, a really good feeling about this. Or maybe that was just his confidence trying to reassure his stupidity.

"Bella, Dean, Sam, this is Esme, our mother for all intents and purposes."

Carlisle turned the sauce from a boil to a simmer before joining his wife and daughter. "Cooking for you gives us an excuse to use the kitchen."

"But I thought Lizzie also... "

"I mainly cook for myself or just get takeout from the Forks diner," she quickly explained.

"Yes, and she only lets me attempt her breakfasts... sometimes, if I'm lucky," Esme laughed from beside the girl. "Did I go overboard with dinner? I hope you're all hungry."