CHAPTER SIXTY-EIGHT: JUNKYARD FIGHT

Chapter Sixty-Eight: Junkyard Fight

(The Spy, Pt. 3)

***

Rowan stared at the junkyard before her, the place where they'd lay their trap.

Rusted sheets of metal and hollowed-out vehicles littered the space like mechanical corpses, surrounding a patch of dying grass. The late afternoon sun made the rusted vehicles and metal gleam dully and have long, warped shadows stretch out from them. The bus where Alistair, Dustin, Mike, Lucas and El had hid in stood like a monument, and seemed to be the only abandoned vehicle that could hold up against a potential Demogorgon assault, especially if they barricaded it well, and the top would give them a good vantage point. And thanks to Eddie, Rowan knew that hardly no one—not even drug dealers or reckless, party-crazed teens—came to this place, not even when night fell.

It was perfect.

Rowan smiled. Dustin had made the right call for this junkyard, for it to be where they could set Dart on fire and kill it.

Steve must be in agreement, because he surveyed the desolate place briefly as he said, "Oh yeah, this will do. This will do just fine. Good call, man."

Dustin beamed as Steve stepped toward the centre of that dead patch of grass, Rowan following with an added, "Yeah, nice call, Dustin. This almost makes up for the one with Dart."

Like that, Dustin's smile fell, but Rowan didn't care as she joined Steve in the middle and got ready to upend her bucket still full with some meat, the younger boys joining them, after tossing more pieces out onto the dusty ground.

Together, they upended all four buckets, the meat falling with wet thwacks on the dusty earth and dry grass. And while it was fall and not summer, the smell of warm, spoiling meat made Rowan's nose wrinkle with disgust and she suppressed a gag.

"I said medium well!" a voice shouted and Rowan looked to see Lucas standing there. Next to him was two equally familiar faces—Max and Cami. Rowan frowned. What the hell were they doing here? Wait... did they know?

"Who're they?" Steve questioned, clueless at the sight of the two girls next to Lucas. Rowan looked to see Steve, about to tell them who they were, before she saw Dustin's face as he looked at Max—and Lucas right next to her.

Oh. 

Steve came to the exact same conclusion Rowan had, looking at the cap-wearing boy with pity at the realisation the girl Dustin liked was Max. And while Rowan wasn't one to jump to conclusions, it seemed clear to her even with her lack of experience in the ways of love that there was something between Lucas and Max, if her being here was any indication.

Or it could be that, somehow, Max and Cami knew the truth of last year, which seemed to be clearer when Rowan looked at her brother and noticed how Alistair seemed frozen as he stared at Cami, like he couldn't believe she was even here.