CHAPTER FORTY-NINE: LIBRARY CONVERSATIONS

Chapter Forty-Nine: Library Conversations

(Trick Or Treat, Freak)

***

"Aunt Aco where's the blood?!"

"It's right over here, kid!"

"Okay! Thanks!"

"Squirt, hold still! Do you want me to poke you in the eye?"

Alistair glared at her, though he stopped squirming as Rowan did his makeup for his ghost costume. Her brother was wearing a set of old clothes and he already had a circle of red painted across the shirt that the fake blood they'd bought would be dripping from, the teen girl focusing on her brother's face as she made his skin paler and did dark circles around his eyes.

Alistair looked at her as Rowan applied dark eyeshadow now and asked, "Do you know what you're doing, Ro?"

Rowan gave her brother a look. "Yes. What do you think I do in those sleepovers with Robin and Chrissy?"

"I don't know. Watch movies, eat junk food and gossip?"

Rowan didn't deign to respond, since that was exactly what they did. Her brother gave a triumphant smirk that made Rowan want to stab the eyeliner in his eyes.

"Okay," Rowan said as she smudged the liner and eyeshadow together before dropping her hand, "you're done! I think you look pretty ghostly, squirt."

Alistair looked in the water-flecked mirror in their small bathroom, and grinned.

"Thanks, Rowan!" her brother exclaimed.

Rowan smiled and ruffled his hair. "Don't mention it, squirt. And I hope this shows to not doubt my makeup skills."

Alistair gave a glower as a response, just as their aunt banged on the door and opened it, shaking a tube with dark red liquid inside.

"Ready to get bloody, kid?"

Alistair nodded in response, Rowan stepping out of the bathroom to allow Aunt Aco to put the fake blood on the red circle that was supposed to be a fatal wound to the chest.

"You're gonna traumatise a lot of people, Al," Rowan said with a grin, her aunt humming in agreement.

Her little brother shrugged. "This is what ghosts look like. I'm just being accurate."

"Still gonna be traumatising, kid," her aunt said, but she had a slight grin on her face as she kept applying the blood.  When done, their aunt stepped away to appraise her work and nodded.