After galloping through the forest as fast as Polly could, we arrived at a clearing in the woods. A small stream ran through the middle and a humongous weeping willow shaded the soft grass underneath. Polly trotted over to the creek, quenching her thirst. Like usual, I crawled under the low hanging branches, plopped myself down, and leaned against the tree. My head rested against the willow's bark. I stared up at it's crooked branches which bent in many directions.

What was I to do? I had let my emotions get to me. Yet should I return? My freedom would be gone. I would become a slave to my studies, like Dalani. Unlike Dalani, I couldn't live that way. Ever since I began training with Debynn I found a stronger appreciation for the world around me. I loved the tall grassy fields, the shaded thick forests, and I loved the village.

My eyes were still sore, but my cheeks were finally dry. Perhaps a little nap would clear my mind. Trusting Polly to stay nearby, I closed my eyes and emptied my mind, letting sleep consume me.

~

Some point later I awoke, stretched, and stood. Polly still stood nearby, slowly munching down some of the tall grass. Judging by the sun's position, it was about early evening. I must have slept for a few hours. My neck's stiffness confirmed my hypothesis.

Perhaps I should warn Debynn of my mistake. After all, I wouldn't want my Father to surprise him. Hopefully I wasn't too late.

I stood up and walked over to Polly. A gust of wind blew around me, bringing about some weird warm smelling air. I took a breath in. A strong smoky grass smell tickled my nose. Something wasn't right. What seemed to be an overcast sky was instead a big cloud of smoke. Jumping on Polly, I guided her back out of the woods till we came to the grassy plains. I felt my heart stop. Dark black clouds billowed from the village. Bright orange tips of flames flared above the village's trees. I pushed Polly into a gallop as we made our way towards the town of Aldan as quickly as possible.

What happened? We weren't in a drought so it couldn't be a wildfire. Then what?

An idea crossed my mind, but I pushed it out immediately. No, Father wouldn't have done something like this. But if not that, what?

"Please hurry Polly." My heart pounded in my chest as the burning village grew closer and closer.

There, in front of me, was Aldan in flames.

Everything was burning. My heart beat rapidly. Polly stopped so suddenly I almost flew off her.

"Easy, girl!" I yelled. I looked around trying to find anyone I could help. The smell of burning flesh gave me dry heaves.

Was Debynn one of them? He had to have survived. I had to do something.

"HELLO! ANYONE! IF YOU CAN HEAR ME, YELL OUT!!" Nothing. The fire's roar was too loud. I made an executive and risky decision and drove Polly into the burning village.

We pushed through the flames. The heat was unbearable. I wanted to search for any trapped villagers, but I couldn't see clearly as my eyes began to water. Polly snorted loudly. I patted her side. There had to be some survivors. There had to be.

A minute. Then two. Then five. There was no one. I had at least circled through the burning village several times. Polly snorted more loudly. I could feel her muscles tighten under my weight. The smoke was too much. I couldn't put Polly through this anymore. Suddenly I heard coughing. It was like a distant echo, but I was sure it was real. I followed it until it led me to the edge of the village.

That's when I saw him. Leaning against the Cherry Blossom tree which was in full bloom. Somehow it had been untouched by the flames. I drew a sigh of relief. As we quickly grew nearer I became aware of his appearance. Blood covered his body and within his center were wide gashes.

I jumped off Polly and ran over to him. Debynn's eyes were closed, and he was slouched over. I grab his wrist. I tried feeling for a pulse.

He looked up at me. I gasped.

There was not much time left for him, I could see. His eyes seemed to be glazed over and his cuts seemed severe. I placed my hands on his wound, trying to stop the flow of blood.

"Emilea." He smiled gently.

"What happened?" I tried to read his expression. I could see his pain. He had several large gashes on his arms and a large opening in his chest. He was bleeding too much, and too quickly.

"Aldan was attacked," he said through gritted teeth.

"What? Why?" Why would anyone attack the village? What was worth the lives of innocent people- My thoughts stopped. I recalled my last visit with Debynn. "The sword."

"Yes-." He gasped in pain. Blood bubbled from his lips. Bile rose in my mouth, and anger gathered in me. I wanted to scream my feelings away, but it was not the time. Not yet.

"Who attacked you? Did they take the sword?"

"Shhh." He hushed me. He put a hand to my worried face. "Listen to me Emilea. You told me you wanted me to teach you so you could be a fighter someday. I'll tell you now. The key is knowing the right time to take a life and the time to give it. Emilea, do not fight for me, do not take lives for me or anyone else." His coughs grew quieter. I tried to hush him back.

"But, how can you ask this of me? There is no way I could let whoever did this to you get away."

"These are my last moments as your teacher. Please-" His voice cut short as he gasped in for air. "Life has never been ours to take. I know this will test you, but promise me you will show mercy when you can." I nodded. His voice faded. My hands shook. "Emilea, I'm sorry. You will have to find another sword master-" His voice trailed off. I shook him slightly. His head slowly fell back against the tree. I shook him more.

"Debynn? Debynn!" My yells echoed around us. A smile curved from his lips and his eyes stared blankly up. I followed their gaze to the very top of the tree. Hundreds of cherry blossoms swirled through the air with a sudden gust of wind. Their sweet aroma filled my nostrils and the flames behind us caused them to glow like never before. My tearing eyes followed them through the sky. I looked back at Debynn. His gaze remained the same as before but the light was gone. I closed his eyes gently. The sweet warm breeze continued to circle us. In that moment I was sure that Debynn was among those cherry blossoms that would soon reach the heavens above.