Please. Please let me get this. I wanted the Gods to hear me on this one request. I didn't want to make a fool of myself.

I closed my eyes and released the arrow. Silence.

Then there was the thud.

I heard the girls clap again. I found the arrow right next to Teren's, in the center. I smiled proudly.

Yestin punched me in the arm and gave me a cocky smile.

"Emilea!" Teren exclaimed.

Finally, he would give me the praise I had worked so hard for.

"I can't believe you hit the target. Emilea is awful at shooting," he told the girls. They snickered back.

My heart dropped.

"Why don't we have a nice walk through the village?" Teren suggested to them. He guided them to the carriage already waiting.

I followed them from a distance, my heart still hurting.

I felt a hand on my shoulder. I looked up and saw Akyto.

"See, I told you your practice would pay off."

"Teren was less than impressed." I eyed Teren and Yestin who helped the girls into the carriage.

"What does it matter? You did it." Akyto slapped my back.

"Ow." I looked at him, annoyed. He laughed and got on his horse.

I approached the carriage, and Teren offered his hand.

I took it, but I did not look at him.

I wish we could have walked to the village, so that I could have distanced myself from these nattering goats. All the girls wanted to talk about was Teren's "chiseled chest" and his "romantic charm".

"I heard that Teren is going to be visiting Aldan more often. Is that so, Emilea?" Killy asked.

"I have not heard."

"Well I would be happy if it were true."

"Isn't he such a doll?" Persa joined in.

Killy sighed. "You two seem like good friends."

Persa looked at me. "I bet you are glad to have such a highly respected individual as your friend." She seemed to put emphasis on the word "friend." I eyed her back.

Was it that obvious that Teren only treated me as a friend? In the beginning it was different. He used to kiss my hand when we would meet. We would take walks outside or sometimes just say what was on our minds. Back then I felt like we had something.

Then one day he arrived at the castle to receive a business message from my father. After they had met he took me for a ride up a nearby hill. He helped me climb one of the tallest trees. Once at the top, my mouth dropped. I could see the sunset's rays cast down on all of Aldan and past. I could feel Teren's eyes on me the entire time, it made my face hot and my stomach drop. It was my favorite memory with him.

I thought he enjoyed it too. However, when he returned a month later, he was distant. He barely made eye contact with me while saying hello. When I tried speaking to him, his words had no meaning. Since then he has gotten better, but I have never felt the mutual feeling as I did back then.

"Teren seemed to be flirting quite a lot with us, don't you think?" Killy giggled.

"I thought so as well!" Persa fluttered her eyes.

Gross. How could men find these kinds of flirtatious actions attractive? Did men not want a challenge? For these girls were desperately flaunting their singleness.