twenty one

━━━━━━━━━

finals were passing by quickly, it already being the last day before winter break. hyesun easily passing through all her finals and really just wanting to get out of school.

while she probably would've gotten perfect 100's on the exams, her mind was still being clouded with thoughts of jaehyun. both good and bad thoughts.

avoiding him at school was hard but ever since she found out, her and jisun began sitting by themselves at lunch and of course the boys understood them, they understood hyesun.

jaehyun would've never imagined himself being so upset and solemn over hyesun. he thought hyesun was just a girl who was full of herself over her grades and just made fun of his grades that weren't as good as hers but still decent. she obviously changed and jaehyun saw that and with that change, he noticed her more and wished that things had turned out differently.

but at the same time, he would've never gotten 'close' to hyesun had it not been for him using her. as much as he hated the outcome of the situation, he enjoyed the good moments between the two and he only hoped that it could be resolved.

within the final exams week, hyesun hasn't really spoken to her brother besides responding to his questions with short answers. she was still a bit irritated with him on how he was acting. while she slightly understood his concern, she reassured him multiple times that it would be fine but he kept declining it.

jisun had hope that at the last minute, hyunjoon would come through and say yes to her going so that the group could execute their plan that would only work if hyesun came along.

"i think i did bad on the literature exam to be honest" jisun sighed, poking at her food, "the last passage, i just didn't understand it"

"was it the one about the ninth circle and who was sentenced to that circle?" hyesun responded and jisun nodded

"i kept getting the circles confused. circle 2 was for the sinners of lust but what was the ninth circle?"

"it was for those who betrayed their loved ones. i couldn't remember one of them. i could only remember brutus and judas. i think there was 5 though" hyesun replied and jisun sighed once more, "i'm sure you still got an A on it so don't worry too much about it"

"you're right"

"so" jisun began, "how have you been feeling these past few days?"

the girl raised an eyebrow, "about what?" jisun tilted her head and hyesun understood what she was saying, "what more can i feel? i'm just..confused. i want to forgive him but how could i? he used me"

"what if it's just a misunderstanding?" jisun tried to rationalize with the girl

"that wouldn't change anything because in the end, he still used me. but what misunderstanding would there be? how can i misunderstand that he liked you and only wanted to use me for his own gain?" she asked her and jisun couldn't respond because she knew, from hyesun's perspective, that she was right.

"you're right"

"but it's hard" hyesun spoke again, "liking someone for the first time then getting my heart stomped on because he liked my friend instead" she chuckled bitterly.

hyesun shook her head, not letting anything else be said before she stood up, "i'm going to go to the bathroom" she grabbed her tray before leaving the table and then the canteen

————

"i'm home!" hyesun announced, taking off of her shoes and putting down her bag. she didn't get a response and furrowed her eyebrows at this since usually hyunjoon would respond.

she walked into the living room but she didn't see him before going into the kitchen but he wasn't there either. she walked into the hallway and opened the door to his room and saw the boy passed out on his desk.

she sighed before closing the door and walking into her room. she went to her bed, immediately falling onto it.

the girl stared at her ceiling, thinking back to what jisun had told her during lunch.

'what if it's just a misunderstanding?'

she immediately sat up in her bed, tilting her head and began speaking to herself, "how could it be such a misunderstanding? what is there to even misunderstand?"

hyesun just could not think of a plausible reasoning to what she could have misunderstood in their conversation.

of course, she would never think that jaehyun liking her in the end was a probable reason.

even so, she could never get over the fact of her basically being a pawn in his stupid game of trying to get another girl.

"feelings are so stupid" hyesun groaned.

she stood up from her bed before walking to her dresser and grabbing some clothes, changing into them which were more comfortable.

hyesun grabbed a book off her desk and sat at her bed and just began reading, hoping for everything to get off her mind.

after she attempted to read, she was still stuck on the same page she began after an hour of rereading the same paragraph over and over again, not processing at all what was happening in the book.

a knock on her door was heard and she snapped out of her trance. she put her book down and spoke, "come in!"

the door opened and there came in hajoon, "can i do my homework in here? i don't want to wake up hyunjoon"

"sure, go ahead" she grinned before the boy walked over to her desk with his notebooks and sat down, beginning to do homework

as the two were in silence, hajoon looked over at the picture frame on her desk, a family picture.

he picked up the frame and ran his finger over the picture, "i miss mom, dad, and hyunsik" he mumbled but hyesun had heard

"me too hajoon" she responded, a bitter grin on her face, "me too" hajoon put the picture frame down and continued doing his homework.

as hyesun laid on her bed on her phone, she felt her eyes slowly close before eventually falling asleep

————

her eyes opened as she looked around the dark room, the only light coming from her window due to the street lights. a tear fell down her eye as she remembered what she had dreamt about. her family before the incident.

she grabbed her phone that was beside her and looked at the time. 1:30 am

she rubbed her eyes, contemplating on doing something. hyesun unlocked her phone before going into her contacts and clicking on one of the contacts.

hesitating, her thumb clicked the call button and she put the phone to her ear.

after a few rings, she figured they weren't going to pick up and was going to hang up but stopped when she heard a voice, "hyesun?"

she froze, not responding despite being the one who called

"hyesun? are you okay?"

hyesun immediately hung up on the call and slammed her phone on her bed covers, feeling anxious from what she just did.

but she wouldn't lie. hearing his voice felt nice again.

the boy on the other lined stared at his screen that had said 'shin hyesun' on it. he sighed, running his hand through his hair.

jaehyun had hope that she would come around eventually and that this maybe was a start.

-added chapter

━━━━━━━━━