Not A Fresh Start Anymore

Start from the beginning

"They shot me," He said,"You had a Dad that cared, mine...he tried to empty his .45 into me before Professor X stopped him."

"I was born on the street," Ava told them,"My Mom left me alone before I even got these freaky eyes of mine. I could see in the dark before I could see other things, I learned to hide from the bad people, and steal food just so I could go another day. Then one day, when I woke up in my sleepingbag, it looked like a bomb of light went off around me. I couldn't focus, someone found me and brought me here."

"My parents don't even know I have powers," Andrew admitted,"They just think I got a scholarship. I'm always worried, how are they going to find out, when are they going to find out, how will they react? They haven't been vocal about it, but I know that they aren't very...tolerant of Mutants."

Everyone then looked at Sky, and she sighed,"Since everyone else went, I might as well go. My Mom died when I was a baby, everyone knows that. But now my Dad spends all of his time away, and I think it's because I remind him too much of my Mom. He says it's all for equal rights for Mutants, how he's making such good progress, but if he is making progress, why doesn't he ever stay home. Then there's the issue of what I look like really. My Mom hid it, my Dad made a serum that hides his, but with so much being hidden, it makes me afraid that I can never really be myself around people."

"Are all Mutants' lives this messed up?" Stiles asked,"Or is it just the five of us?"

"Every Mutant here has a story," Shatter said,"A bad one. But as Professor X said, it's up to us to change it into a better ending."

"Do you usually quote people?" Stiles asked him.

"Not usually, no," Shatter replied.

"Okay, enough with sad stuff," Ava said,"We're going out tonight."

"What?" Stiles asked,"Where?"

Ava turned toward Shatter and Andrew,"Same place?"

They both smiled and nodded.

"It's about an hour drive to Queens, you see," Ava told him,"But there's a bar there that's Mutant friendly, and it's karaoke night."

"Do any of us look twenty one?" Stiles asked.

"You'd be surprised at how sympathetic humans are to Mutants there," Sky said,"I just have to change my eye color and they'd let me drink free. But if you want to stay you're more than welcome to."

Stiles pursed his lips, everyone's eyes on him, it'd certainly help him get his mind off of things.

"Do we all have to sing?" Stiles asked, making everyone laugh.

Time Skip

Stiles was tempted to swing there, but he didn't quite trust himself with that level of danger yet.

"How will we not get in trouble for taking a car?" Stiles asked from the backseat.

"Because...We're going out and strengthening our relationships with humans," Andrew said,"And it's helpful to have the Professor's favorite student come with us."

"Well, I don't know about favorite, but—" Ava started.

"I was talking about Sky," Andrew replied.

"I'm not his favorite," Sky told them, squished in the middle of the back seat, right next to Stiles,"I'm just who he comes to whenever there might be a difficult Mutant to recruit."

"Then why'd you come for me?" Stiles asked.

"I don't know, the Professor just suggested it," She said, and Stiles paused, looking up at the city in awe for the first time.