Chapter 14

I was in bed, reading the night away because I still couldn't sleep. Having finished a whole book, I sighed happily and put it down. This was the same book Leni read to me. We weren't able to finish reading it so she told me I could borrow her book.

Sleep still has not come to me so I took my phone and called Leni.

"Hello?"

"Leni! I finished the book na," I exclaimed.

"Risa, seryoso ka ba?"

"Huh? Why? Yeah, I finished already. I know I only borrowed it yesterday pero ang ganda talaga ng book na 'to. Brings back memories."

"Alam mo ba kung anong oras na?" she yawned and I could her the sheets shuffle on her end. I looked at the wall clock and cursed, "Shit, hala alas tres na pala. Sorry, Lens. Nagising ba kita?"

"Mhm," she hummed. "Pero okay lang. Gising naman na ako. Nag-enjoy ka naman?"

"Yes, ayun lang talaga sasabihin ko."

I felt embarrassed for interrupting her sleep. Grabe, nakakahiya ka, Risa. Sana nag-check ka muna ng oras. Nagpapahinga 'yung tao.

"Sleep ka na ulit," I told her.

"Mamaya na. Kwentuhan mo muna ako sa insights mo sa book. Alam ko namang excited kang i-share sa'kin."

"Sure? If makatulog ka habang nagsasalita ako, okay lang ha."

"Very sure. Dali na, kwento ka na."

I giggled and settled beneath the covers, then talked to Leni about the secret garden in my head. I described the plants and the flowers, aware that Leni's a plantita herself. I don't know how much time had passed but just when I was feeling drowsy, I could hear Leni's soft snores on the other end of the call.

Time to sleep.

"Good night, Leni," I smiled and closed my eyes. "Love you."

There was a work event tonight and there was this guy who kept bugging me since earlier. It was a formal event, hence the dresses and the suits that we wore. He sat on the same table as Leni, Kiko, and I so I really couldn't avoid him.

I knew who this guy was. He and I have worked together in the past and we have a good working relationship. Maybe if I didn't date Raf, I'd probably be dating him.

That said, I only saw him as a friend. A close colleague, or something along those lines.

He approached Leni and I before the event and talked to us about work. He really wasn't a subtle person. Not at all. He laughed and agreed with everything I said, he kept addressing me when he was asking about something, and he placed a hand on my arm when he laughed.

In the middle of our conversation, I felt an arm snake around my waist and pull me closer. At first, I thought it was him.

It wasn't.

It was Leni.

Her hand was on the curve of my waist. I looked at her in confusion — or in panic, rather, because I was freaking out on the inside — and she was acting like the gesture was just something normal for us. She was conversing with him, obviously having gotten his attention after holding my waist.

"Mauna na kami sa table," I heard Leni say. Her hand never moved from where it was. Before I sat down, her hand on my waist traveled to the small of my back. It made me panic even more. Leni was rarely touchy, especially in public. So what was this now?

We sat down and from the corner of my eye, I could see Leni's irritated look because she was on my right, and the person designated to the seat on my left was him. Bakit kaya naiinis 'to sa kanya?