Chapter 7

Leni and I were at UPTC today. We attended our usual mass at the Gesu, had lunch somewhere in the mall, and after an hour or more of window shopping, we were having meryenda before going home. It's been over two weeks since the whole Raf fiasco happened and things haven't been easy since. Only last week, I broke down in my car on the way home. We had to stop in the middle of the road because I was crying uncontrollably and my driver didn't know what to do. So he called Leni. In record time, Leni was beside me, soothing my back and caressing my hair until I stopped crying.

"Please lang, Risa, 'wag mo na uulitin 'yun ha?" Leni spoke, eating another spoonful of her meal.

"Ang alin?"

"'Yung umiiyak ka nang gano'n. Gets ko naman na masakit pa rin, malungkot at galit ka, at okay lang naman na iiyak 'yun. Pero 'wag ka naman biglang hahagulgol sa gitna ng daan. Akala tuloy ng driver mo napa'no ka na."

I laughed, realizing that it's true. It was stupid of me to suddenly burst into tears then. "Oo na, hindi na mauulit. It was a moment of weakness.

Glancing at Leni, who was looking at something behind me, I leaned over and stole a few bites of her food. She looked at me and smacked my hand away, "Akin 'yan eh."

"Pahingi lang ako."

"Pwede namang magsabi na pahingi? Bakit kailangan pang bigla kang kumuha?"

"Busy ka kasi sa tinitignan mo."

"Eh kasi..."

I gave her a confused look and she shook her head, asking me to disregard what she just said. "Ano 'yun?" I asked.

"Si Raf kasi...ayun oh," she pointed to the pathwalk behind me. "Kasama ata mga kaibigan niya."

For the record, I didn't have a problem with seeing Raf again. It's just that everything's still raw to me and seeing the person who caused the pain and the anger makes it a lot worse. I turned to look behind me and saw that it really was him.

"Hey," Leni said. "Okay ka lang?"

I smiled and nodded my head. "Oo naman. 'Wag na lang natin pansinin."

Leni smiled kindly in return and we went back to our earlier conversation. Then someone approached our table and I almost spat out my food. "Hi, Leni. Risa," he acknowledged.

"Raf," Leni replied. I didn't say anything. I didn't want to give him the satisfaction that he affected me but I also sat there, not knowing what to do. Leni shifted her gaze towards me, concern etched on her features. She gestured if I wanted to talk to him and I shook my head faintly. Never.

She understood immediately and started a conversation with him. Which, I was glad she did. Otherwise, it would have been more awkward for all of us. "Ano ginagawa mo dito? You're with your friends?" She asked.

"Oo, nakita ko kayo kaya naisipan kong lumapit. Baka pwede kong kausapin si Risa."

I could feel his gaze on me. "Ayoko," I said, my hands fidgeting on my lap.

"Just one conversation. Magpapaliwanag lang ako."

"Ayoko nga."

"Please, Risa."

"Sabing ayoko nga."

"Let me just expla—"

"Ang kapal din talaga ng mukha mo 'no?" Leni interrupted.

Shock ran through my veins and I couldn't believe what I was hearing. I stared at Leni, still sitting regally on her seat, staring Raf down even when he was the one standing.

"L-Leni..." he began. But my best friend wasn't having it. She stirred her tea and continued to talk.

"I know it's none of my business kung ano'ng nangyari sa inyong dalawa pero kaibigan ko si Risa at hindi ko gusto 'yung ginawa mo sa kanya. You cheated on her. Nasasakanya naman kung kakausapin ka niya pero sinabi na niyang she doesn't want to. Kaya with all due respect na hindi mo naman deserve, makakaalis ka na."

"Please, kahit saglit lang. Ris..."

"Ayaw nga niya. Hindi mo ba 'yun narinig? Nakailang ulit na siya. You couldn't respect her enough to not cheat on her, the least na pwede mong magawa ay respetuhin na ayaw ka niyang kausapin. Give her the respect na hindi mo nagawang ibigay sa kanya the whole time that you were in a relationship with her. Umalis ka na."

He stood there, dumbfounded. Leni never said anything about Raf and I's relationship. Not when he's around. And never as serious as that. She kept her opinions to herself and bit her own tongue when Raf and I would sometimes argue in front of her. This was the first time she ever did.

"I..." he stammered. Leni just gave him a firm look, waiting for him to leave our presence. He gave me one last look as if begging me to talk to him but I looked away, refusing to even acknowledge that he was there.

When he left, Leni was the first one to break our silence. "Okay ka lang?"

I chuckled, "Yes, I am. Nagulat lang talaga ako. Pero mas nagulat ako sa'yo."

"Deserve naman ng gagong 'yun."

"Oh my god," I laughed. "Ngayon na lang ulit kita narinig magmura!"

"Nakakainis kasi siya. Sinabi na ngang ayaw eh."

She irritatedly finished her food and I couldn't help but smile at her antics. Irritated Leni is one of my favorites Leni. Unless I'm the one she's irritated at because then, that would be very different.

We finished our meal and were walking back to the parking lot. I noticed that Leni was quiet. Instantly, I knew she was mad. See, Leni was that kind of person who becomes quiet when she's angry because she's cautious that she might say something out of anger.

I hooked my arm on hers and said, "Thank you for defending me kanina."

She eased up and I could feel her arm relax. "Sorry, ang tahimik ko. Naiinis pa rin kasi ako."

"Okay lang, I understand naman. But really, Lens. Thank you talaga."

"You're welcome," she smiled.

We hugged each other again before going our separate ways. "Thanks for today. 'Wag ka na mainis ha, sige ka mas lalong lalala 'yung wrinkles mo."

"Sinasabi mo bang malala na 'yung wrinkles ko?"

"Slight."

She pinched my arm and I squealed. "Aray. Ayan ka na naman eh."

"Sige na, maglalakad pa ako sa dulo nando'n 'yung van eh."

"Okay. Ingat, Lens. Love you."

"Love you too."