Chapter 12

I didn't like what I was looking at.

I was at Leni's office today and we were in the middle of a conversation when someone walked in. She greeted Leni with a kiss on the cheek and a pat on the back. Leni introduced her to me as one of her college batchmates. I shook her hand and she sat across from me.

She caught up with Leni, occassionally asking me questions so I won't feel left out. She was kind, I'd give her that. She also was very charming.

And Leni seemed to be too charmed by her.

I didn't like it.

"Diba, Lens?" She said. Leni laughed in reply, her eyes crinkling at the sides and her head tilted upwards as she laughed. Tawang-tawa ka naman.

Hala siya, Risa. Bakit parang galit ka?

They were friends. This was the first time they'd seen each other in years, like Leni said earlier. I really did not have a reason to be jealous.

Wait, jealous?

I'm jealous?

I scoffed inwardly and shook my head. They were friends. I had nothing to worry about. But then again, Leni and I were friends too.

What in the world am I saying anyway? It's not like I feel jealous because they might be a thing. Or have been a thing. Or they could be a thing.

Argh, Risa. Ano ba.

Baka nagseselos ka lang as a friend.

Ah, yes. Maybe that was it. Maybe I was jealous over their friendship and not because of something more that could happen between them. I was Leni's friend. It was just a childish friendship jealousy — like that feeling when you don't want other people being friends with your best friend.

Yes, that's it. That sounds a lot better.

"Risa, what do you think?" Leni's voice pulled me out of my musings. I looked at her and shrugged, "Ikaw bahala."

"Sabi ko, gusto mo ba sumama sa'min kumain sa labas or mag-order na lang tayo dito?"

"Ikaw nga bahala. Kung ano'ng gusto niyo. I'm fine with either."

"Sure ka ba na okay lang sa'yo kahit alin?"

"Oo nga," I replied shortly. Leni shot me a bemused look and she smirked. I scowled at her and crossed my arms on my chest.

We ended up ordering.

Leni's friend left an hour after we finished eating. We went back to working in no time. While I was typing a monthly report, she called my attention. "Risa."

I looked at her and raised my eyebrow expectantly. She smiled and raised her eyebrow too. I rolled my eyes and went back to work. Akala ko naman may mahalagang sasabihin.

"Risa," she said again. I repeated my earlier actions and she still didn't say a word so I went back to work.

She poked my arm with her pen and called my name again. "Risa."

"Ano ba 'yun?" I asked, tone exasperated.

"Galit ka ba?" She asked. Her tone, however, was devoid of any seriousness. She was asking it so lightheartedly that I almost felt offended.

"Hindi. Bakit naman ako magagalit?"

"Kanina ka pa tahimik dyan. Tapos tinatawag kita hindi ka sumasagot. Galit ka ba sa'kin?"

"Hindi nga, ang kulit mo. Tinignan naman kita ha?"

"Oo nga, pero usually sasabihin mo ganito," she cleared her throat and in her best Risa impression she continued. "Yes, Lens? Ano 'yun? May kailangan ka ba?"

I snorted, stopping myself before I could burst out laughing. "Gano'n na rin naman 'yun. Dami mo pang sinabi."

"Nagseselos ka 'no?"

I blushed before I could even fully register what she just said. "H-huh?"

"Sabi ko, nagseselos ka 'no?"

"H-hindi ah! Bakit naman ako magseselos? Ang kapal mo."

"Sus," she laughed. I glared at her and rolled my eyes. I stood up to get something from my bag that was on the cabinet by the window. In reality though, I just really didn't want her to see the blush on my cheeks.

Nakakainis ka, Leni.

"Ayon," I heard her say. "Nagseselos nga."

I kept my eyes on my bag and frantically searched for something. But I really wasn't looking for anything. Nahihiya na ako. Pwede na ba magpalamon sa lupa?

"Selos selos ka pa dyan. Ikaw lang naman babe ko."

Ano daw? Babe?

My cheeks blushed further and I bit my lip, fighting off the smile on my lips.

"Babae ko," she corrected. "Ikaw lang babae ko. Sorry, typo lang. Nakulangan sa A."

"Gago ka ba?" I asked in disbelief. "Anong typo sinasabi mo dyan eh nagsasalita ka."

"Huwag mong ibahin 'yung topic. Selosa."

"Oh sige," I finally turned to look at her. She was standing by the side of her desk, leaning her lower body on it. I placed my hand on my hip and continued, "Paano nga kung nagseselos ako?"

"Edi sana sinabi mo agad para kanina pa kita sinuyo," she grinned cheekily. I rolled my eyes and felt my cheeks heat up again. I faced the window again and turned my attention back to my bag.

"Ito na, susuyuin na nga eh. Huwag na magselos parang tanga 'to."

"Wow, salamat ha," I replied sarcastically.

She was silent for a few seconds and I felt ridiculous for feeling such way. Bakit kasi may pagselos akala ko ba friends lang.

"Risa," Leni's voice was serious now. I felt my heart race at her tone. I didn't pay any attention to her. And I realized, only a second later, that I probably should have because her arms were now around my waist. She was hugging me from behind.

Oh god, she's hugging me.

"Hindi ka naman dapat magselos do'n," she whispered. I could feel her breath on my neck and her arms tightly pressed around me.

I stand there frozen in shock and breath hitched in my throat. Ano'ng nangyayari, bakit nakayakap na siya sa'kin?

She whispered again, "Hindi pasok 'yon sa standards ko. Baka sa'yo pwede pa. Pangit 'yun eh."

Ang galing.

I growled in annoyance and was about to turn around but her hold on me tightened. "Joke lang syempre," she said.

"Ano ba talaga?"

"Ang gusto ko lang sabihin, hindi ka naman dapat magselos do'n. Ano'ng binatbat no'n sa'yo? Wala naman."

I stayed silent, the hairs on the back of my neck raised at the sound of Leni's hushed voice. My knees felt weak. Leni, jusko ka. Ano ba 'tong ginagawa mo sa'kin?

"Ang akin lang naman, walang ibang gustong tignan 'yung mga mata ko kundi ikaw."

Oh my god. "L-Leni..."

"Tara, kain tayo sa labas. Kanina ko pa gusto ng kwek kwek."