Chapter 14: The Gentleman

Cole Daniels

I stared straight ahead at her. I tried not to show my emotions. I needed to stay calm. Calm and sane. That's the only way I'll make it through this.

Light, soft hair clung to her damp, slightly pink-patched skin. More tears threatened to spill but she held them back with all her strength. Her mouth was moving but I couldn't hear anything. I couldn't make anything out. She was distant. Lost.

"More wine?" The waiter asked. I shook my head and he moved on.

"Cole...Cole, haven't you listened to a word I've said?" Her voice broke in desperation. Her words meant nothing to me.

I enveloped my hand around hers, smiling like a sick fool in love. "Smile," I said, "we're not alone."

I tried my best not to look at the out of place couple sitting at a table not too far from our own. Instead I chose to focus my eyes on her.

Suddenly she grinned and threw her head back with laughter, as if she'd just heard the funniest thing ever. Wiping her tears away, she plastered a look of utter content on her soft face, heeding my words.

"I can't do this-I can't be with you," she muttered shaking her head.

I raised my brows sceptically, "please enlighten me on why we are here. You and I,"

She forced her eyes shut for a moment and I glanced at her. Her hair, her rosy cheeks and the tiny freckles on her nose. She looked innocent, pure-in utter bliss.

"Cole," she breathed.

"Amelia..."

She bit her lip in thought. "This isn't about you and I. This arrangement is so much bigger than us, you don't even understand what you're getting yourself into."

I furrowed my brows, "what are you trying to say, Amelia?"

"You really think if I had my way I'd be here with you? Cole, you're a stranger to me. If it were my choice I would be with the father of my child," I murmured, my hand stroking the swell of my belly.

I shook my head, "but your father said-"

She cut me off, "he lied to you, Cole. I wasn't raped or taken advantage of. The only mistake made in this mess is mine alone. I fell in love," she muttered. Her eyes glistened.

Careful, I thought. Your mask is slipping.

I remained quiet, slowly trying to make sense of her words.

"I know you don't want me either. You're not the honourable guy that saves a woman's honour by taking in another man's baby. You know more than you lead on. Why did you agree to this match?"

I drew a sharp breath, unable to meet her demanding eyes for a few seconds. Why did I? I needed her father, his men, his power. Sure, I have plenty of money but that would never buy me something as priceless as loyalty. I needed a pack-wolves to help me fight my battle.

"I need the men, Amelia. How can I fight the Carnells by myself? I know you won't understand this. I have to, it's the only way I can avenge them. My parents."

Sympathy flashed through her eyes and then they turned cold and hard. "Am I some object to be traded between you and my father?" She remained poised. "Can't you see? He's planted this seed of revenge in your mind. You're going to get yourself killed!"

My jaw tightened. Her hand gripped mine. "Compose yourself, they're watching us," she smiled gently.

Three familiar scents past my nose. I gripped onto her hand and pulled her up. "Let's go," I said as I dropped the cheque on the table.

It was dark now and the only source we had to guide us was the dim street light. We walked slowly, Amelia was a few paces behind me. She halted suddenly, her eyes were cast downwards.

"Amelia?"

She shook her head, unable to face me. "Leo," she whispered, "he's the father of my baby."

I stared back at her wide-eyed, jaw-clenched.

Leo Carnell.

My childhood friend's face flashed through my mind.

A/N: Finally! Sorry about the false update yesterday. I can't believe the chapter got deleted :( oh well, I think I remembered most of it anyway, lucky for you! So what do you think of it? Share your thoughts & comment!

Exam season is upon us -.- so I probably won't be updating till next month. Good luck to anyone that does have exams, though, I hope you succeed :D

Also, could you please check my newest story "The Art of Deception", I think if you like Runway Wolf then you'll probably like that too. And feel free yo design a new cover for this story, I'm rubbish at making them 😂 Thanks for reading!