Soft Spot - Kalpas x Reader

Start from the beginning

You didn't hear his insult.

You beamed and bowed. "Thank you for allowing me the chance to fight by your side."

He scoffs yet said nothing. He resumed his pace and you hurried to follow.

"Your orders..?"

"Just stay out of my way."

"Yes sir."

"..."

"Don't call me sir."

"Eh?"

"Kalpas is fine."

"Ah, of course."

The two of you walked in silence. For good measure, you stayed behind him. He sighs making you internally panic. Have you done something wrong?

"Don't stand behind me." He said.

"Ah, I apologize." You hurry to stand beside him. "Won't I get in the way?"

"Are you like those annoying pests?"

You didn't know who he was talking about but you wanted to get along with him so you shook your head and utter a low 'no'.

"Then it's fine. Don't steal my kills. Don't get in my way."

"Right. I won't."

...

That's what you said, but you ended up weighing down Kalpas when you stepped in to lend some assistance. You should have guessed that he could have dealt with an emperor-class beast on his own, but when you saw the beast attempt to attack the man while he was preoccupied with another beast, your body moved before your mind could process it.

Su notified you that your injuries were minor although you wouldn't be leaving the medical bay anytime soon seeing as you also sprained your ankle.

"Is Kalpas okay?" You asked the green-haired doctor after he finished with his report.

"Kalpas received a large injury on the back." Your blood turned cold. "Ordinary humans would have died from such injury but rest assured, he'll be fine."

Dread fills in your stomach. You force yourself to swallow the lump in your throat. The feeling of dread lingers even on your tongue. You thought about how lucky your captain was that he was a MANTIS.

"I see. Thank you, Dr. Su." You said.

"Su is fine."

"Okay, Su."

You and the psychic rarely interacted since the two of you were in different branches, but as you recover from the medical wing, you began to learn more and more about him.

He and the strongest warrior, Kevin Kaslana, had been friends since high school. Su had laughed at your shocked expression. You did not take lightly to his amusement.

You also learned some meditation tips to undo the stress within your body. On one occasion, you tripped when you tried to help him organize his cabinet causing the two of you to end up in a predicament. The two of you couldn't look at each other straight after that.

You hadn't been looking forward to your recovery as you believe it would be a long and tedious task, but Su made the recovery less boring and more bearable.

You were rather sad when he informed you of your full recovery but your will to get back to work obscured that disappointment.

You were just happy to go back to Kalpas.

...

You found Kalpas in the training room, destroying a bunch of training dummies, courtesy of MOTH.