[13] I won't let you ruin my life.

Simon's POV

5/9/25

I watch him as he sips his drink. His eyelashes flutter as he takes the first sip. God, we are wasted.

He places his drink onto the coffee table and looks at me. He just looks at me.

"Simon, are we doing this? I mean, should we really?"

I listen to him. He has some common sense. I just throw myself into things, regardless of whom it might hurt.

"What have we got to lose, Ant?"

And then everything slows down. My thirst overtakes my thought. I grab his shirt and pull him towards me. He lets me. In fact, he leans in. I put one hand underneath his chin, my other hand still clutching at his shirt. I slowly and softly press my lips against his. We move in sync, his smooth lips against my chapped ones. When I'm kissing him, I can just forget everything. I pull him closer to me and kiss him like my life depends on it. I run my fingers through his hair.

The doorbell rings. But we don't hear it. We don't hear David come in, through the door. We don't hear his little shriek of shock. But what we do hear is David screaming, "For the love of God stop!"

We pull apart and dart to opposite sides of the room. I stare at Ant. He glares at me. I can't bring myself to look at David.

"Okay, I'm going to ask this once. What on earth just happened?"

Ant pleads with David, "David, I swear, it didn't mean anything. We're really wasted. Like really, really wasted. And then Simon came onto me and then we came back here and then he kissed me on the couch and I didn't know what to do so then I just leaned into him and went with the flow-"

I stare at Ant in horror.

"You backstabber! You were enjoying it just as much as I was. Don't deny it, I know it's true."

"Oh yeah, like I would go behind Dec like that."

"ANT YOU DATED HIM FOR LESS THAN A DAY."

"Yeah? And I kissed you on a sofa. It meant nothing to me. No shit. Nothing at all, okay?"

Normally when someone who you were just kissing says something like this to you, you feel a tad bit hurt. But not me. No, I feel like my lungs are on fire.

"YOU BLOODY BACKSTABBER!"

I thought it was me who yelled this, but it was David. I'm not sure who he is talking to here. I mean, it could be relevant to either of us.

"David, I'm sorry, I-"

Ant just picks up his coat and walks out the door, slamming it as he leaves.

"You. Me. Bedroom. Now." David says angrily.

I don't think this is a good thing. I think it's more of a, "I'll yell at you upstairs so then the passers-by don't see us.".

We walk up the stairs quickly and go into the bedroom. David immediately starts screaming at me. This is when I finally pluck up the courage to look at him. He's holding a box of chocolates. And flowers. And he's in his best suit. I think he was trying to make it up to me. But instead I've faced him with this.

Oh god, look what I've done this time..

"Simon, I won't let you control me anymore. You've been scarring me for too long. You can hate me, but I hate you more. You left my heart in pieces on your living room floor. You can hate me. But I'll hate you more. This is screw you, goodbye, Simon...yeah I won't let you ruin my life."