Chapter 30: Wish Upon A Star

Kana

A rather cool breeze sways the branches as two sit alone on the flowery hill at dusk. Little critters return to their homes in the trees and the crowded streets below start to slowly thin. This sight she has witnessed plenty of times before though feels nostalgic today, given the circumstances.

Frederick takes a deep breath of fresh air gazing at the distant sunset. "The view is wonderful as always but I prefer night time the best."

"Watching the stars here at midnight is the first spot I took you along with Saelufu. I can't believe two whole months have passed already. Still, it's even harder to grasp the fact you're leaving tomorrow. Really wish I could've seen you off if you weren't going so early," she responds, not trying to hide the disappointment in her voice as he adjusts his hat.

"I know, but my fam wants me on the train right at sunrise... I've had a lotta fun these past several weeks thanks to you and Saelufu. I have tons of stories to share with my pals back home!"

"Well, I'm glad you enjoyed your stay."

Just like that, it falls silent once again. There is a specific reason the fidgety teen invited him out to this secluded location. Naturally, Kana did wish for them to spend additional time together before he departs, but there's also something important she wants to confess. The brunette twists her new sparkly orange ribbon that Frederick gifted as a sweet birthday present. She could never find it in her to wear it until now, and maybe this will lend her a much-needed confidence boost.

"Um, Frederick I-"

"This might be kinda sudden but somethin has been on my mind that I have to ask ya." Frederick pulls the tip of his hat down as if he's embarrassed to ask the question occupying his thoughts. "You just talk about him so fondly it got me thinkin. Kana, do you hold romantic feelins for the prince?"

The moment Frederick asks this her emotions become a scattered mess. The one particular person she was struggling so hard to forget--if only for this sunset--has now reentered her head. Kana's emerald eyes drop down to her bare ring finger with a bitter smile.

"That is pretty random... Regardless if I do or not, it won't matter either way," she mumbles, and a flicker of guilt flashes in the southern boy's eyes.

"Sorry, I shouldn't be tryin to pry. I just heard he was gettin married soon and it made me curious."

"Yeah, yeah he is..." Kana's hand clutches at heart with a sudden pang in her chest. "Though even if he wasn't that wouldn't change anything. I couldn't handle gaining the throne to help co-rule over an entire kingdom. I'm far from the queen Calestra desires and choose my hectic lifestyle compared to royalty. There's your answer."

"I-I see..." Frederick stutters, falling oddly quiet and the earlier tension has risen stronger than ever. An almost suffocating air she simply can't take anymore, and with that, the girl plans to head home. Dusting off her dress, Kana takes a stand yet the country boy seems too spaced out to even notice.

"Sorry I'm cutting our last outing short but I should be going now. Remember to write to me after you get settled in, okay?..." she reminds him, and turns her back on his downcast face. "Goodbye, Frederick."

Saying those few parting words, the girl sprints fast as her legs will allow down the grassy hill. The confession Kana intended vanished the minute he spoke Wendell's name, though perhaps in a sense, she's relieved not to have announced her love.

I must truly be a dreamer to hold onto hope and his wedding is merely six days away.

...

The family of three each gathers around as her mother just finishes fixing their plates. After saying a prayer, both her mother and brother enjoy the hot cooked meal while Kana only picks at her food. This is a flavorsome dinner with ripe vegetables rather than the affordable ones which are always bruised. Nonetheless, she doesn't have an appetite considering all that's weighing on her heart.