Chapter 29: The Aftermath

Start from the beginning

"Just a few days earlier when visiting the Valenta home for dinner, Justus babbled about Kana's birthday party. He mentioned that the prince missed the celebration because he had fallen ill. When I hung out with the southern boy shortly afterward, Frederick shared that he too was getting over a cold." Oliver's scarlet eyes drift toward the rundown houses as they ride along. "Honestly, I could've just written that off as a coincidence, until midnight when we went on patrol to assist that Alphonse fellow. Facing the burglar, Frederick performed an exact technique only you should've been taught at the Royal Warriors Association. That's the moment I truly believed Wendell and Frederick were one and the same."

The chariot continues down the bumpy road and he is amazed Oliver was so observant. If anyone had exposed his identity, the prince assumed maybe Justus would've connected the dots. Though he is the person, second to Kana, Frederick has spent the most time around.

"Besides, even if I hadn't the slightest inking about this secret, you did expose yourself by mentioning our patrols back there."

Wendell ruffles his ash-blonde locks with a lopsided smile. "Ah, that's right. I didn't even realize my slip of the tongue."

It's hard to focus on what all someone says during a crisis.

"I must say, I'm still impressed. I thought I did a decent job playing the role but you found me out within two months... So your offer stood based on the reasonable assumption that I was Frederick?" Wendell questions and he awkwardly scratches the back of his neck.

"I said it already, didn't I? By that point, my strong speculation that you were Frederick was confirmed. And since we're partners...I couldn't allow you to do something so reckless on your own."

This is even more of a surprise than the fact he discovered his secret. The prince figured once Oliver did realize Frederick was himself all dressed up, his sworn enemy would be utterly revolted by how he stayed so chummy. In truth, an outburst Wendell had been looking forward to witnessing, but his response is the total opposite of what he anticipated.

That implies to me as well. I'd laugh if a prediction claimed the two of us would someday fight together willingly. Despite my current doubts, one good thing did come from using this persona.

The prince has gotten to understand his ex-rival much better now compared to when they first met. What started as patrolling every blue moon had evolved, eager to spend time with him when his schedule was free. An unlikely friendship he never imagined forming weeks ago.

"I suppose the two of us are partners, aren't we?" Wendell wears a small smile and the older boy crosses his arms with closed eyes.

"D-Don't sound so cocky. You may have the royal title but I am the one who established this partnership. It's my turn to ask you a question now. What's the purpose of you posing as this southern peasant foreigner? Some weird task to learn about us commoners from a hands-on perspective?" he guesses, this causing a chuckle to escape the prince's lips.

"No, nothing like that. Actually to keep it brief, this was created in order to unravel Kana's honest feelings towards me. If I get favorable results, I could be marrying her instead of Blanche. However, time is of the essence and my wedding is just around the corner..."

Wendell is painfully reminded again he's yet to reach a solid conclusion. The 'decoding Kana's dear heart' operation resulted in an utter failure. Given the war has settled, the prince should have his mother's permission to propose, and he needs to end things with Blanche properly as he promised her cousin.

"You're telling me you went through all this trouble for her? By how googly-eyed Kana behaves, I thought she was head over heels for you both. So, the wedding with Blanche might be canceled then..." he mumbles, his gaze staring in the distance as if it holds some sort of answer.