I Won't Wake Up This Time

'Oh, this is gonna be bad.' Jodie thought to herself, finally letting her worries and nervousness show.

***
"So?" Jodie asked as she sat on a stool. She fidgeted with her fingers as she looked around the lab, then finally looking at Donald.

"There's nothing else I can do. I've looked through every single test to make sure the results were wrong. But they're not." Donald said.

Jodie sighed as she nodded. "How long?" She asked, biting her lip to keep her from crying.

"If we're lucky, maybe three weeks." Donald said, taking a seat next to the superhuman, who wiped away a tear. "Jo, why didn't you tell me as soon as it started?" He asked.

"Because... It was just a headache. I thought that if I kept taking pain killers, it would eventually go away." Jodie said, standing up from her seat. "Does mom know?" She asked.

"Yes. I told her already. Jo, this was obviously not just a headache. At this point you can't even use your abilities without crying out in pain." Donald said.

"I know." Jodie mumbled. She knew she should've told someone. Or when Bree took notice of how many times she would be taking pain killers; that should've been a sign of telling someone. "So, how is it-" Jodie started, but choked back a sob.

"Your body has too much energy in it and it's starting to get to your heart. Your magic is what's been keeping you alive for now. But your body is at a point where it's ready to give up." Donald said.

"How- Why do I have too much energy in me?" Jodie asked.

"Jo... You weren't ment to absorb energy. Any hit you've ever taken and absorbed into your body... it's what's killing you. And I think that last hit you took from Marcus is also adding onto that." Donald continued.

Jodie nodded. "So, I have three weeks? What's gonna happen to my abilities when I die?" She asked.

"They'll eventually stop working since you won't be around to use them." Donald said, seeing Jodie nod. "Or you could also transfer them to someone else." He suggested.

"I can do that?" Jodie asked.

Donald nodded. "You've done it before and with all the research I've over these past few weeks, I've figured out you can transfer all your abilities not just your magic. But it has to be someone you trust completely. I don't want your abilities to fall into the wrong hands." Donald explained.

Jodie stayed silent for a moment, immediately thinking of the one person she trusts the most. "Chase."

"What?"

"Chase. If I can give my abilities to someone, it's Chase. I trust him the most." Jodie said.

"Okay. In three weeks, you'll have to transfer your abilties before you... go..." Donald trailed off, getting quieter.

"Wait, but all that energy, it won't transfer to him, right?" Jodie asked.

"No. Everything that's killing you, well it stays with you." Donald explained, receiving a nod from the superhuman.

"I'm sorry, Davenport." Jodie apologized.

"Jo, you shouldn't apologize. We just... ran out of time." Donald said as Jodie nodded. "Okay. I'll call Chase and tell him what's going on." Donald said.

"No!" Jodie said, stopping Donald from calling the bionic boy. "Not yet. I don't wanna tell him yet." She continued.

"Jo, you don't have a lot of time left." Donald argued.

"Please. I'll tell him, I just... I need time to figure out a way to tell him. And I want Adam, Bree and Leo to know too." Jodie said.

"Okay. Whatever you need to do to make these three weeks comfortable. I'm sorry, Jo." Donald apologized and walked out of the lab, leaving the superhuman.