twenty - when I've learned how to love

Start from the beginning

"That part sounded scripted," you mutter.

Hange shrugs. "Yeah, well, the more we let you talk out of your ass, the more Shadis hated you."

"So?"

"So you got good at archery because you had to," Jean is saying. "To survive."

"Yep," you agree, pulling back on the bowstring. "I didn't have a choice. It was either find something that could make me- twelve years old at the time- useful to the world, or else..."

You fire. The arrow hits a tree further down the path.

"I'd die," you finish nonchalantly, shrugging. "I'm sure anyone can relate. Maybe it's not archery, but it's sewing, or cooking, or just... well, I'm just a part of the group of kids that were forced to grow up too early."

"That's a good line," Hange says.

"This is awful," you grumble. "I'm so embarrassing."

"You're just lucky you stood up for yourself right from the get-go. Pretty sure Shadis and the others would've played you up to be a massive damsel in distress if you hadn't made it clear from the beginning that you were going to fight until the president was dead."

"Go, me."

"That's the spirit."

"Any archery tips?" Jean is saying.

"Go for the eye," you say at the same time the version of you on screen says, "go for the eyes. You want the most amount of meat for your food? That's exactly where you aim. Right... there."

You fire another arrow. It hits a thin branch down the path and the branch snaps in half.

"Look at you, remembering your lines," Hange jokes, patting your shoulder.

You roll your eyes. "It's just shooting advice."

"And wear gloves!" the version of you on screen says.

"Practice what you preach, dumbass," another voice shoots, and the camera pans over to Levi. Instantly, your chest tightens- was he really always with you? Always by your side? He looks grumpy, but there's a quirk to one of the corners of his mouth. He's amused.

You turn towards the camera and start to say something about wanting better for today's kids growing up, so they won't have to go through what you did, but seeing Levi has completely derailed your train of thought. This is great and all, siphoning through what the Capitol's stripped you of, but you want to know more about Levi. You need more of Levi.

The video ends. You glance up at Hange. "Do you have any from the arena?"

They smile sympathetically. "Soon, I hope. Supposed to get in contact with our spy tomorrow morning- well, today, I suppose. That's the big blocker for you?"

You nod. "Yeah. It all... it all starts there, I guess."

"And Levi," Hange adds meaningfully.

Again, you nod. "Levi. Yeah."

Hange squeezes your shoulder. "Get some sleep," they say. "I'll let you know tomorrow as soon as I hear something. Okay?"

You nod one last time. Hange squeezes you one last time before they leave, door shutting quietly behind them. You stay at your desk, rewinding the video right to your reaction after Levi yells at you to practice what you preach. You pause the video there. You're grinning cheekily, head tilted, shrugging as if to say whatever.

You stay at your desk for a few more minutes, staring at that picture of you. Eventually, you shut down the tablet, turn off your lights, and stumble towards your bed.