eleven - when nothing is left anymore

"Armin?" you say in surprise, bow lowering.

"And Mikasa," the blond supplies, gesturing behind him to the other figure emerging from the darkness. Instinctively, you bring your bow back up, ignoring your aching fingers. Mikasa's holding a sword- similar to Levi's- and she points it towards you, glaring hard.

Levi's voice is quiet. "Twelve."

You don't let your gaze drop. You and Mikasa glare at each other, with your arrow at the ready and her sword up in front of her. There's only a few feet of space between you, but somehow, you feel like she could slice your arrow out of the air before it would hit her. She gives off a similar aura to Levi, actually: quiet and deadly. 

Speaking of Levi, he's staring at you, katana lowered. "Twelve," he murmurs. "Trust me."

He told you there was a plan. A plan to get out of here- which means, a way that all of you can stay alive. What had he been trying to write before these two showed up? A, then R... Armin?

Fuck it- fine. Your fingers hurt anyway. You force yourself to relax, letting the bowstring return to its resting position. "Your girl hit me with a rock and broke my fingers," you say bluntly, even if you have no clue if they're even broken.

"It was an accident," Armin says quickly. 

"An accident that she hit me with perfect aim."

"No, she thought you were aiming for Mikasa," he explains, and your eyes flicker back to the black-haired girl. She's glaring at you. "But you weren't, were you? You were going for Annie?"

"Annie?" you ask, glare still locked on Mikasa.

"The District 4 girl." Armin looks between you and Mikasa. "We come in peace," he says, holding up both of his hands. "We don't want to hurt you. See, Mikasa's going to put her sword down."

He shoots Mikasa a meaningful look. Reluctantly, the girl lowers her sword. "You're uninjured?" Levi asks.

You're ruffled that he cares. There's some sort of unspoken alliance here that you don't like. Although, Mikasa definitely looks like someone you'd want as an ally and not an enemy- but you know full well that you're not a fan of anything you don't know a lot about.

"Yes," Mikasa says tersely. Her voice is quiet but firm. "You two?"

"Fine," Levi says.

"The dumbass twisted his ankle," you interrupt, jerking your chin at Levi. "And your ally broke my fingers."

"My ankle is fine," your ally mutters.

"Sure it is."

"Can you walk?" Armin asks.

Levi nods. "Yeah."

"I think we have bandages," Mikasa murmurs, and she swings a backpack off of her shoulders. She doesn't let go of her sword as she rummages through it, and she comes up with a roll of white bandages. 

The District 2 girl tosses it to Levi; he catches it with his free hand. "It's warmer in this part of the cave," Armin says. His eyes flicker to your pile of ash- what remains of your fire. "You two had a fire?"

"Had being the key word," you say.

"Ran out of fuel?" Armin looks to Mikasa, then back to you. "We have some things that we can burn. I know you taught me how to make a fire," he says sheepishly, looking to you, "but you're better at it than I am. Could you make a fire again?"

Armin and Mikasa are both looking to you. It's more than a simple question about making a fire; it's a gesture for more. An ask to sit down and have a civil conversation.