Chapter 24: Until That Day

Start from the beginning

His advice leaves Saelufu speechless as she ponders over the words in her fragile heart. She's well aware he does speak the absolute truth but the difficult hurdle to cross is accepting it. The dwarf has gained the courage to form close ties with humans, however, this promise wasn't decided on a whim.

Such wise words Wendell, but I'm skeptical if I'll ever become strong to live by them.

...

The school day carries on as normal, and eventually, the noon bell rings releasing the bored teenagers. Saelufu stretches while letting out a loud yawn, still half-asleep after that dry history lesson. Pondering what to do since she's homework free, a familiar voice grabs her attention.

"Saelufu, wait!" Justus runs up to the dwarf who forces a grin.

"Hey, what's up?" she asks, trying to push aside the chat with Wendell earlier this morning.

"Uh, well, I was curious if you wanted to go to watch the horse racing with me? There's an event being held today at Windmill Park around five."

"...Sure, why not? I haven't visited the track in ages and it's supposed to be a decent competition."

Saelufu refuses to pass up this rare offer from the once standoffish boy, so she'll shove these bubbling emotions down with much-desired company.

"Kana and Frederick just left so I'll invite-"

"No!" he strongly rejects, causing her to raise an eyebrow. Justus' rosy cheeks flame a tad redder as he averts his gaze. "I-I meant for the two of us to go alone."

"Okay then..."

Saelufu is so perplexed by his abrupt change of behavior, she can't give a joking reply.

"Alright! I can meet you out front ten minutes ahead of time. I'll see you there," he replies, zooming off without any further confirmation. Their quick chat is but a blur and it only conspired mere seconds ago. Suddenly having plans this evening, she hurries home to calm her scattered thoughts as well as her racing pulse.

...

Saelufu approaches the instructed destination eagerly searching for the strawberry blonde. Glancing down at her dark red plaid dress again, the girl regrets not keeping what she originally had on. Not a thing was wrong with her typical choice of clothes, and her dad gave her such a hard time wearing this flurry piece out the door.

Why am I putting in so much effort? Did Wendell somehow jinx me by mentioning this today? No, get your head out of the gutter. Justus for one never specified that, therefore, this is a fun outing as friends.

Returning to reality, she finally spots him waiting off toward the left by the gate. Justus's usual green cloak is absent--this muggy weather making the boy to take it off for once. She can finally see his pale complexion better not hiding under that hood, and with their eyes locking, he walks over to greet her.

"You arrived right on the dot."

"Yup, but it seems like you're a little early. I guess someone is excited to watch the horse race, or maybe just looking forward to hearing my lovely voice," she teases, and his face burns red.

"It's reasonable that I got here quickly! I live much closer than you do... Y-Your outfit is different but it looks nice," he shyly compliments, and she runs a hand through her loose hair.

"Well, I should let these summer dresses get used rather than collect dust. Let's hurry, I wanna hop in line real fast. I plan to make some coins!"

"You're actually going to place a bet?" he questions, as the two head for the betting table on the opposite side.