Chapter 13

CHAPTER THIRTEEN

"I have arrived!" Kenpachiro announced, swinging his arms out in a grandiose fashion as he burst into the room wearing a flamboyant floral kimono. His dark hair, with a slight auburn hue, was accessorized with hair extensions and a pound worth of gold and jade baubles. He made his already pale features pure white with face powder, and tinted his eyes and lips bright red. I had to admit that if it wasn't for his somewhat hawkish features, too severe for womanly beauty, he probably could pass for a first class courtesan.

I was disappointed that it seemed like he was enjoying his role rather than being mortified by it. Though I suppose that since we had already found Yu, that his efforts were wasted.

"Can you take this seriously?" I scolded as Kenpachiro played with a glided fan, sashaying across the floor. He only scoffed at me in return.

"Can you truly not see that I am serious about getting into character?"

"I hope you didn't waste our entire mission fund on that gaudy attire."

"He b-bought this with his own money..." Hibiki murmured, his shoulders slumping. "It cost as m-much as two months' worth of my living expense...."

"Wasteful." I rebuked. I suppose it was only natural that someone as filthy rich as he was would not understand the value of money.

"But... s-speaking of w-wasteful Yuki-kun, .... what's w-with the random f-feast in here?" Hibiki looked around himself stunned—hot pot, noodles, steamed buns, dim sum and sweet rice balls, fao gao, lou po beng, etc. Yu had just wanted to keep on eating. I'm surprised that he could fit so much food into such a tiny body.

"We found Cold Child...." Haruka replied weakly, gesturing to Yu who was happily eating.

"And Yuki stuffed 'em."

"What's wrong with feeding a hungry child?" I defended.

"N-nothing, it's a very k-kind thing to do...."

"But it's completely unlike you." Kenpachiro added while helping himself to a steamed bun.

"Well, this kid just brought us some very critical information at monumental risk to himself, so I decided a reward was in order." I hunched my shoulders nonchalantly.

"W-what kind of c-critical information...?" Hibiki's eyes were wide, and he looked over at Yu who stared back at him—no, rather, at Kenpachiro, he's mouth hanging open a little, his brows furrowed.

"Oh my, is there something wrong, wraith? Or are you just in awe of my extraordinary beauty?"

"... I get it. It appears the esteemed Wisteria Prince has finally pissed off all the courtesans, so you've started visiting that kind of brothel...."

I didn't put my hand to my mouth quite in time to prevent a laugh from escaping my lips.

"What? No!" Kenpachiro huffed in an exaggerated show of offense. "Do I look like the type of man who plays the dragon's flute?"

"You don't seem like a man at all."

"Do not think that mere compliments will be enough to earn you any of my prestigious esteem."

"Uh.....right....so are you going to tell me why your....?"

"If you must know, I wanted to feel pretty!"

"..."

"The real reason was because we heard you couldn't resist critiquing courtesan fashion. We hoped to use him to lure you out." I explained before Yu could lose complete fate in my team.