Chapter 8: Love In The Air?

Start from the beginning

"Wouldn't know. It's my first ball in this kingdom."

"Ah, so you're new around here then. What village did you move into?"

"Everlane."

"Your family must be on the wealthy side. I hail from the place most commoners choose to settle. I grew up in Opal Forten but I wouldn't change it for the world. I'm sure you'll enjoy life here in Calestra."

"Yeah."

'I guess he's not much of a talker' she thought, as her attempts at friendly chitchat were going nowhere.

Suddenly the previous music had stopped changing to an upbeat tune. The final song of the night started to play and it couldn't be a nicer choice. The dwarf clapped her hands in excitement and spun toward the boy with a large grin.

"They were wise to save the best for last! The hopping quickstep will forever hold as one of my favorite pieces. Hey, do you wanna dance with me?"

"I-Isn't the guy supposed to offer the girl to dance?! Besides, who asks someone they just met?" he sputtered, and she finally stirred him to give a decent response.

"Oh, I didn't realize there was some protocol to follow. I always make sure to dance at least once when attending a palace ball. What's the point of even getting dolled up to stay huddled in a corner all night long?"

"That's..."

"Come on, we'll miss the whole song at this rate." Saelufu left no window for him to refuse as she pulled him amongst the crowd of people.

"You're better off finding another person. I...rarely participate in these events so I'm not a great dancer..."

"What difference does it make? According to superstition, my cursed misfortune would rub off on you regardless. More than that it's about having fun whether you possess good skills or terrible." She intertwined her hands with him as he let out a heavy sigh of defeat and got in position.

The footwork was face-paced as Saelufu hopped happily along to the beat. Unlike her dance partner who remained rather tense, the boy's eyes fixated on his feet. He stumbled but luckily managed to catch himself before falling forward.

"A small tip your kicks should be quick and light compared to slow and stiff. Also, don't try so hard to keep up with everybody else. Go at your own speed even if you're a little behind the music."

"Alright..."

The boy put her advice to good use as his movements became less forceful. Both next took a turn to perform a short solo step which he did fairly well. When circling each other the final time their eyes locked for just a moment. Once the routine was finished, Saelufu gave an elegant bow accompanied by a cheeky smile.

"Not half bad. It's a relief you didn't fall to cause us a scene. Still, you stumbled a couple of times and your legwork was pretty sloppy."

"And just who dragged me out here?! I said you could've picked a different partner!"

"But you have something to remember about your first ball, and I know you didn't completely hate it. Despite your objections, I saw you smiling a bit," she added, and his initial anger had vanished. Instead, the boy's cheeks flushed scarlet though he didn't get to respond. A middle-aged woman on the opposite side of the room was searching for him.

"Justus, we're about to leave!"

"Looks like your folks are calling you, so I better go catch up with my own now. Well, thanks for the dance, Justus." With that, Saelufu spun around and headed back to her family's table. Out of all the random dance partners she chose he had to be the most intriguing yet.