Chapter 8: Pumbaa Starting Out as an Acquaintance

Timon and Y/N were walking along when they thought they heard a twig snap, making them stop. They turned around to see the grass, blowing in the wind.

"Ah...oh. Hello? Strange but wise monkey?" Timon called then requested, "Y/N, get behind me."

"What?" Y/N questioned

"Just humor me," he said.

She obeyed then a bird cawed before more flew into the night. As they looked around, something seemed to growl behind them, so he stepped in front of Y/N. As they saw it charging at them, they immediately ran through the grass, Timon making sure she was in front, but when they got at the end, they were greeted by a warthog snout. They and the warthog, Pumbaa, took turns screaming until they did it together.

The movie was then paused again.

"You know, first impressions are very important," Pumbaa pointed out.

"Very true," Y/N agreed.

"Oh, we thought you were a scream," Timon added.

The movie then resumed, the screams also resuming.

"Just eat me now. And please make it fast. I got a low threshold for pain. But just let Y/N live," Timon begged while on his knees, shocking Y/N.

"Easy, easy there, little guy. I'm not going to eat either of you," Pumbaa assured.

"What? You're not? Then why were you stalking us?" Timon demanded.

"Well, gee, I saw you two go by and I figured little fellows like you shouldn't be out here all alone," Pumbaa answered.

"Well, technically we weren't," Y/N pointed out.

"But what about you? You're all alone," Timon commented, realized what he said, then asked nervously, "You are all alone, aren't you?"

"Yeah. Most animals give me a pretty wide berth," Pumbaa admitted.

"They do? Even the hungry ones?" Y/N asked in curiosity.

"Yeah. I drive almost everyone away. People see me coming, and they run for cover. They can't get out of the way fast enough," Pumbaa explained as Timon examined his hooves.

"You don't say, you don't say. Must be the gleam on those vicious tusks, huh?" Timon guessed, grabbing the tusks.

"Yeah. It must strike fear into their hearts," Y/N added happily.

"Actually, they say I wreck their appetite," Pumbaa corrected.

"Wow. It's like you have this-this special power," Timon smirked.

"Special power? Well, it's pretty powerful, all right," Pumbaa stated nervously while looking behind him.

"Perfect. You're hired," Timon declared.

"Great! For what?" Pumbaa wondered.

"To get us to a little worry-free haven out by that big pointy rock," Y/N told him.

"And you want me to come with you two?" Pumbaa asked.

"Ha ha! Do you see any other big lovable chunk of warthog here who also happens to have razor-sharp tusks and the ability to repel predators?" Timon said, smiling bright and fluttering his eyes at the end.

"I'm your pig," Pumbaa smiled.

"You and us, I can tell-we see eye to eye," Timon declared, looking Pumbaa dead in the eye.

"You mean, like friends?" Pumbaa wondered hopefully.

"I can see that," Y/N said.

"Whoa, easy there, big fella. I'd say more like..." Timon started, hopped down, then told him in quotes, "'acquaintances.'"

"Oh. Well, it's a start," Pumbaa pointed out.

"Put 'er there, acquaintance. I'm Timon," Timon introduced.

"I'm Y/N," Y/N did the same.

"Pumbaa," Pumbaa did as well.

"No, really," Timon replied.

Pumbaa just smiled real big, making the two meerkats realize he was serious.

"All right, then. Let's hit the road," Timon declared.

"You got it...acquaintances," Pumbaa stated.

"So, clear up one thing for us. If you weren't going to eat us, what kind of a wacky, wild pig are you?" Y/N wondered.

"I'm an insectivore," Pumbaa answered.

"Oh ho! A bug eater. Well, us, too. I just never had a name for it. I'm kind of partial to the crawly critters myself," Timon explained.

"I'm more fond of the slimy ones. How about you, Pumbaa?" Y/N replied.

"I prefer the ones with wings," Pumbaa said.

"Pumbaa, Y/N, this could be the start of a beautiful...acquaintanceship," Timon told them then they continued on for the big pointy rock.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

A/N Finally met Pumbaa and time for a crazier adventure.