He made an understanding noise and nodded easily. "Yeah, I did."

"Why weren't you sleeping?"

"Why were you on the couch?" he asked back.

She laughed. "I asked first."

"I was sleeping. And then I was thirsty. So I got up and came down to get water. And then I saw you sleeping on the couch with the TV on so I thought I could grab you a blanket."

"Why?"

He frowned. "Why what?"

"Why did you bring me that blanket?"

He tilted his head as he looked at her with a half-smile. The way he stared at her was like he didn't understand at all. "I was being nice," he said. "I can't be nice?"

She shook herself and cleared her throat. "No, I was just curious." She lowered her eyes to the half-empty bowl. She could feel his eyes on her.

"Why were you sleeping on the couch?" he asked again.

"Doesn't matter," she replied curtly.

"I mean, I've seen your bed and it's really comfy. And your couch can't possibly beat that."

"Ethan," she snapped, lifting her gaze to meet his once again, "drop it."

He wanted to argue. She knew that he wanted to by the look on his face and the way that he tilted his head. For a second, she wondered how did she manage that in just seven days.

But he did the opposite of arguing. He just relented with a nod and went on to finish his bowl of oatmeal.

**

John looked surprised when Ethan came in the door.

"I didn't actually expect you to show up," he said slowly as he approached Ethan.

Skylar laughed from behind Ethan and mock saluted him. "You're gonna wish he hadn't, John."

Ethan swung back with a playful scowl. "Hey! I am standing right here." He pointed down at his feet.

She nodded with a dismissive wave. "Yeah, yeah. Well, I'll see you later during lunch, alright?"

He didn't know why, but he felt kind of warmed when she said that. She left when he nodded with a smile. He turned back to John who was half-smirking at him. He widened his eyes in a questioning manner.

"You like her, don't you?" John asked.

"Wh-What?" he spluttered. "No, I don't." Yes, he did.

John studied him more. Ethan started to move, trying to shoulder past John but the man grabbed his arm in a flash and pulled him back. "You like her," he stated this time. Was he really that easy to read? How did John even know? They barely even knew each other! "Don't worry, you're not that easy to read." It was like he read Ethan's thoughts.

"John, I don't-"

"Save it, Ethan." John pushed away from the cashier station he was leaning against and motioned for the other man to follow. "It's not that much of a surprise. That woman has managed to make all her guests who are male - some female - and single to like her one way or another."

Okay, that sparked some sort of jealousy in Ethan.

"Now, don't be jealous." Jesus, what the fuck? "She never returned their feelings, not in the four years since she opened the cabin up for business." What was the man trying to say? "That girl is on her way to be a spinster."

"I'm sure she's just not ready," Ethan blurted out. He instantly shut his mouth and looked as if he got caught with his hand in the jar when John turned slightly to give him a teasing look. "Can we pretend I didn't say that?"