Chapter 29

Chapter 29 — Polyamorous

Liam finds himself looking at Aaron every now and then. He doesn't mean to, but his eyes somehow always stray towards the man. It has already been established that Aaron is indeed an attractive looking man, however his absolute insufferableness has hindered Liam from completely appreciating that. Not that he is looking forward to appreciate him or anything.

Once a dickface, always a dickface — that's not going to change.

Aaron almost catches him looking at him a couple of times but fortunately he doesn't. Liam knows he won't hear the end of it and he doesn't really have a proper reason to defend himself either.

The weird thing is though whenever he is not looking at Aaron, he feels his gaze on him. Is it possible that he's been looking at him too? And for what? But when he turns to check his suspicions, Aaron wouldn't be looking at him. Maybe he's just becoming paranoid.

They are on their third movie now, and Liam is starting to get bored as well. But he doesn't say anything, and he doesn't make any move to leave either. He doesn't know why. Now that he thinks about it, why is he even still in his house? He only came to check up on him and it's apparent that he is doing much better than the day before, aside from the occasional sniffles and coughing.

He checks the time on his phone. It's almost half past twelve. He clears his throat and turns to Aaron, this time intentionally and full of awareness and with a purpose.

"So–," he starts and Aaron quickly pauses the movie before turning to him, "–do you need any help in cooking or anything?"

"No, I'm good. I'm just going to order in,"

Liam gives him a small nod, standing up, "Okay, then. I should probably get going,"

"Right," Aaron stands up as well and accompanies him to the door despite Liam assuring him that he can let himself out. And just as Liam is about to open the door, Aaron asks, "Do you want to stay for lunch?"

Liam freezes for a good second, unsure if he heard him right and does a rather slow dramatic turn.

Aaron rubs the back of his head, giving him a half-shrug, "I mean I am going to order in; I can order for you too," he says not even for a second meeting Liam's gaze and instead looking over his shoulder, as if he is talking to the door instead of the man before him.

Liam feels very much put on the spot, and if only this was a few days ago, he would have no problem with a reply which for sure would have been nothing short of a snide remark. But kind of a lot has happened these past few days and as much as he hates to admit it, he doesn't quite hold the initial impression he had of his boss. He's more... tolerable now. And it wouldn't be much of a stretch to say that their acquaintance has progressed — only a little, but still it counts.

However, that does not mean he is going to have a one-on-one lunch with his boss — he doesn't think they are at that stage yet. He slowly starts to shake his head and tries not to think much of the almost disappointment-like expression that crosses his face. He cannot be disappointed by him rejecting his offer, can he? Maybe he's relieved and that is what Liam misreads as disappointment — yes, that should be it.

If that is what it was, then he is relieved too to be leaving. He's really gone out of his way coming to check up on him and then staying further with him watching movies. Yes, he is relieved to be leaving, but still there is no reason for the quick succession of his heartbeats as his gaze once again meet Aaron's for one last goodbye.

He quickly turns and walks away, his heart still beating rapidly. Maybe if he gives it some thought he can probably find out the reason for that but he's not going to do that, not sure if he wants to know the answer.