Chapter 16

Chapter 16 — No Almost

"Benjamin?" Liam asks, unable to believe what he's hearing.

"Who's Benjamin?" Aaron turns to him, eyebrows raised in question, but Liam doesn't have the time or energy to answer his boss; not when he is still reeling from the... whatever that passed between them not moments ago.

He doesn't know if he should be grateful Benjamin is there or not — who knows what would have happened if Katie hadn't interrupted them when she did.

Liam opens the bathroom door and steps out meeting Katie, "What do you mean Benjamin's here?"

"Exactly what I meant. He's here. At the door,"

"Seriously?"

"Yes, seriously. Why would I lie about that?" and then looking over his shoulder, she starts smirking, "Hey, Aaron,"

Exhaling a sharp breath, he snaps his fingers in front of me, and widens his eyes at her, shaking his head a little, warning her not to comment anything, because there isn't anything to comment to here really.

"Who's Benjamin?" Aaron repeats his question from before.

"That's none of your business," Liam quickly says before Katie can say something — he doesn't know why but he doesn't want his boss that messy part of his life. Maybe it is feeble attempt at maintaining some sort of professional relationship between the two of them although he is well aware that they must have leaped way, way past it before, "I'm going to go deal with this, okay," he announces before leaving the two of them and making his way to the door where his mom already is.

Liam hurries his steps and pulls his mother back, putting himself in between her and Benjamin, "I'm here, I'm here,"

By the way his mother's face is all pinched up and Benjamin's is sullen, Liam knows his mother must have gone off on him. Turning to the older woman, even though he doesn't want to, there's no denying the smile that finds its way to his lips. She can be the gentlest, kindest woman you meet, but when it comes to her loved ones she can be a fierce protector as well. She has always told him to keep his emotions in check when it came to his ex-fiance but it looks she didn't extend the advice to herself.

"I'm not going to apologise," she tells him before he has even opened her mouth.

He lifts his shoulders in a half-shrug, "I wasn't going to ask you, to be honest. Just, are you okay?"

Instead of answering him, her eyes cut over to the man standing behind him, "I can deal with him for you,"

"No, no. I'm good," holding by her shoulders, he turns her around and leads her into the house, "You go join everyone. I'll be there in a bit, okay. Love you,"

She pats his hand twice before nodding and leaving him. Taking in a deep breath, he turns around and goes towards the door. He gestures a Benjamin to step aside so that he can step out and close the door behind them, not wanting to disturb anyone in the house. He goes to the bench on the veranda and sits on it; Benjamin joins him at his side.

Another deep breath, "What are you doing here, Benjamin?"

"I'm sorry. I didn't know you were having a party,"

"It's not a party — just a small gathering for Rylee's birthday,"

"Oh. Convey her my wishes,"

Liam lets out a loud sigh, "Is that why you came here? To convey your wishes to my sister?"

"No, no," he shakes his head, and scratches the back of his neck, "I, um... I didn't like how we left things yesterday,"

Liam doesn't mean to but a snort escapes him anyway, "You didn't like..." he mumbles under his breath, rubbing his forehead, trying to not let his emotions get the better of him. He only starts speaking once he feels somewhat calmed down, "So?"