Chapter 5

Not Kiyoomi, not Atsumu, and definitely not Osamu knew about Rintarou's sudden struggles.

He would disappear for periods of time and casually return, chatting with Kiyoomi nonchalantly and cooking as he did so. Kiyoomi would forget about eating if Rintarou wasn't present and he was grateful for him each and every time but then another two weeks passed and on one particular night, Kiyoomi returned after an evening out with Atsumu and he noticed something.

He couldn't say it immediately since he was face timing his best friend while eating snacks but the moment he hung up, the curly haired cornered him.

"Rin, are you sleeping well?" Kiyoomi asked slowly, brewing himself a cup of coffee.

"Yeah, why?"

"Have you been eating anything besides snacks?"

"No? I don't like healthy stuff unless Samu makes it," Rintarou explained.

"Are you overworking?"

To that, Rintarou froze. He was. He had gotten a job that lasted from directly after his last class─ whether he ended at midday or three, it didn’t matter it was always after the last class─ to eight which was normally a fine time since Kiyoomi normally ate late. And when they bade each other good night, Rintarou still managed to get homework done and squeeze in about five hours of sleep.

It was exhausting but he didn't need anyone to know.

"No?" Rintarou finally said, his voice shifting and he knew the glare he received was because Kiyoomi knew he was lying. "But I swear it's not that bad!"

And that was another lie. He was damn exhausted!

Slowly, Kiyoomi nodded, pretending to trust Rintarou but it was actually the furthest thing from it. He had no trust. And if dating Miya Atsumu said anything, it'd surely mean there were a lot of lies in simple sentences but at least there was Kiyoomi to help Atsumu but no Osamu to help Rintarou.

He’d just have to keep an eye for any signs of brain failure.

._._.

"I fucking said no! Didn't you hear?!" Rintarou seethed, a ball of pure anger building up in his stomach as he tried yanking his arm away.

"Come on. I'll pay you double of whatever you want. Don't take away my joy."

"I said-"

"He fuckin' said no!"

Rintarou blinked. He swore he blinked for a whole minute because by the time he realized what was happening, the weird guy was on the ground and intertwined in his fingers were Osamu's ones.

Osamu.

He could just about cry. He could feel his whole body get lighter at the sight of the man before him and he could just feel himself relax. He wanted to cry in joy so bad.

Except he didn't because then he'd be questioned and although Osamu would question what he was doing out there, he wouldn't have any questions about his tearful emotions. So he opted to wrap his best friend in a bone-crushing hug.

"Samu," Rintarou whispered.

He was hardly two centimetres taller but those two centimetres were more than useful when he wanted to avoid level eye contact. Useful to press his nose against Osamu's cheek and rest his forehead against the crown of his best friend's head, basking in that comfort as the weird guy lay on the ground blinking at the two giants blearily.

"Should've told me you had a boyfriend. Would've saved me this possible broken spine."

"He should've snapped your neck!" Rintarou hissed exactly as Osamu separated them to kick the guy squarely in the ribs, both ignoring that they had been mistaken as boyfriends.

He wasn't okay but at least he felt at home with Osamu there in his arms.

._._.

"What're ya doin' here?"

"I could ask ya what yer doin' in this room."

"Visitin' my boyfriend, stupid. Ya know Omi-Omi is mine," Atsumu said with squinted eyes. "And yer an hour away from yer campus."

"I’m here because o' Rin, idiot."

The Miya Twins glared at each other, Atsumu holding onto Kiyoomi's hand protectively and Rintarou resting his head on Osamu's shoulder, the silver-haired having an arm wrapped loosely around his best friend as he realized he felt suspiciously thinner than usual.

Not much because he was a big guy but he’d held onto Rintarou enough to feel even the slightest change in body.

And this was a very small shift but he could feel it.

He was concerned.

He suddenly wanted Atsumu out. He wanted him to take Kiyoomi along and leave him with Rintarou. His heart hurt to know that his best friend, his light, his Rin, his love, was hurting and didn't say anything. He hated that he didn't do enough that would show his best friend that he could be talked to, he could try and help, he would do his utmost. But he could only do it if he had answers to his questions.

It was honestly stupid to jump to conclusions just by the feel of Rintarou's clothed skin but there were telltale signs.

Dark eye bags, slightly greased hair, clammy hands, empty snack packages in dozens piled in the trash can, and not to mention, his sluggish movements at times.

The only problem was that he was now a guest and he couldn't just chase out Rintarou’s roommate and nevertheless take control of the area he was new in.

The most he could do would be cook, win them over, and then ask Kiyoomi to give them some privacy because he was the only one that could get Atsumu out without a big fuss.

So that's what he did, pointedly looking at Rintarou and Atsumu once he said he would be cooking because he was sure they ate actual junk.

"Come on, Samu," Rintarou pleaded, pain in his eyes as he watched his best friend walk to the kitchen. "Don't cook! Or more like don't open the fridge or cabinets!"

Blatantly ignored, that was the first thing he did, automatically frowning. 

"Energy drinks, yer multitude of snacks, and a suspicious carrot?" Osamu asked disapprovingly before turning to his twin. "And you, Tsumu? Yer tellin' me ya don’t give yer boyfriend good food? Yer tellin' me yer future doctor is eatin' like you and Rin?"

Kiyoomi raised an eyebrow, unsure if he was surprised to see that at least one Miya Twin cared about their well-being, or if he was amazed that he could shut both Atsumu and Rintarou with just a few words. 

"Don't worry, Rintarou cooks for me," Kiyoomi voiced out. "I like the freshest food so we get groceries every day."

"And ya don't force him ta eat?" Osamu asked, eyes narrowing at Kiyoomi. "He makes it. He knows how ta cook it to his likin’. I made sure of that when I showed him."

And Kiyoomi glared because he realized that he didn't like the twin Rintarou spoke so highly of. It was definitely favouritism and blinded love he’d say.

"Hey. I'm not his guardian. I'm pretty sure he knows what he should and shouldn't eat and that eating junk food all the time is bad. I'm sure you know that too, Miya."

Both gazed evenly at each other, Atsumu and Rintarou both panicking at the silent but heated tension between their favourite individuals.

Then the fox haired had an idea, getting up and grabbing Kiyoomi's hand before ushering him to stand up.

"Hey?! What're ya doin' ta Omi?!" Atsumu asked, holding his boyfriend's other hand to prevent him from leaving.

"We're quickly going to the store. You and Samu are staying and bonding or whatever." 

Atsumu let out a splutter of protests, claiming that he didn’t want to stay with his brother but the two ignored him, each waving at their respective twins before disappearing out the doors.