Twenty

Max sat next to Leigh's bedside. He smiled as he looked to her.  "How are you feeling?" He asked.

Leigh looked to him and smiled.  "I've been better. How's Esmè?" she asked as she looked to him.

"My mum has her. She is safe. I promise. There's something that you need to know. Kim kidnapped her. But I got her back. I'm so sorry. I have been a jerk. I haven't been there for you. But I swear I am here for both of you. I still love you Leigh. I want to be the best dad I can to Esmè. If you will let me," he said.

Leigh looked to him. She smiled as she placed a hand on top of his. "Esmè has to come first. We have to put her first. Before  anything happens with us," she said as Max nodded.  

He knew that Leigh was right. He was glad they he finally saw Kim for what she was. He knew that he was going to make him pay for what she had done to his sister

"Where's Lexi? I thought that she was watching Esmè?" Leigh asked. 

Max looked to her and sighed.  "There's something I need to tell you. Lexi is in the hospital."

She looked to him and frowned.  "What happened? Is it the baby?" Leigh asked.

Max shook his head.  "Kim attacked her to kidnap Esmè. I'm so sorry," he said as Leigh looked to him and frowned.

She felt sick knowing just what Kim had done.

****

Leigh smiled as Max wheeled her into Lexi's room. She saw a tired looking Tom sitting next to her bed.

Leigh noticed the tension with Tom and Max. She frowned. Max looked to Leigh.  "I'll give you a minute," she said as he walked out.

"It's not his fault Tom. It's Kim's," Leigh said.

Tom sighed.  "I know. But I also knew that if she didn't get involved Max,  she wouldn't be here fighting for her life. And our baby's life. I know that you wouldn't ended up in a coma. He's made bad choices," he said.

Leigh nodded. She smiled.  "I know. But he feels awful it's his sister. And he is trying to be better. Give him a chance. He already blames himself enough for this. He doesn't need you to do the same. Besides you two used to be friends. For Lexi's sake. Think about it," Leigh said as Tom looked to her and nodded.

****

Leigh sat in her hospital bed. She smiled as Max walked in with Esmè. Leigh looked to her and smiled. "Hi baby," she said as Max lifted her out of her pushchair. He sat her on Leigh's knee.

Leigh looked to her little girl and held her close. She felt emotional. "She's gotten so big. I've been in a coma three months. And she's not a new born anymore," she mumbled.

Max looked to her and smiled.  "I know. I know that you have missed out on a lot. But everything is going to be okay from now on. I promise," Max said as Leigh smiled.

She was unaware of the revenge Max was plotting on Kim for trying to ruin everything and everyone he loved.