Seventeen

Lexi stood in the corridor. She saw Max and sighed. Max looked at her. "What happened?" He asked.

Lexi looked at him and smiled. "There was an accident. The baby is here. If you'd like to meet her," Lexi said as Max looked at her. Lexi rolled her eyes. "Oh come on Max. You're my brother. I know you better than anyone. You can screw Kim Campbell all you want. But we both know the reason you're pushing Leigh and the baby away is because of dad. You're not him. You're a good man. Well you could be if you stop acting like a jackass. My best friend had your baby. Your daughter. Now would you like to see her?" She asked.

Max nodded. Lexi took him to the NICU. They walked in and went over to the incubator. Max placed his hands through as he touched her small hand. Lexi could see him tearing up. "How long is she in here for?"

"A few weeks. She is premature," Lexi said.

Max smiled. "She looks like me."

"Poor baby," Lexi said as she grinned at her brother.

Max rolled his eyes at her. "Is Leigh going to be okay?" Max asked. He knew he still cared about Leigh.

****

Lexi walked into Leigh's room. She smiled as she sat down next to her bedside. She sighed. "You need to wake up Leigh. You have the most beautiful girl ever who needs you. Max met her. And he was in awe at her. But I don't think it changes anything. He's too scared. He's not a bad guy. But he has issues. It's nothing to do with you. She looks like Max. But she has your eyes.  She's beautiful. Our little Esmè. You'll love her," Lexi said.

She took hold of Leigh's hand and smiled. "She needs her mummy. And so do I. I need my best friend. And I'll be damned if I'm going to let Max and Kim Campbell raise her. So I'm going to make you a deal. You fight. You wake up and you get better. She's your baby. And I'm going to look after her until you're ready," Lexi said.

Lexi knew Leigh was still in critical condition. She knew Max wasn't ready to look after a baby. And she had a feeling Kim was going to try and get involved.

Lexi knew she wasn't going to let it happen. Esmè was her niece and she was going to look after her until Leigh was better.

****

Lexi stood in the corridor. She smiled as she saw Tom. Tom looked at her. "I got your message. Are you sure about taking Esmè? I mean shouldn't she be with Max?" Tom asked.

"It took a lot for Max to even see her. He's not ready. And I'm not having Kim manipulate him into playing mummy to Esmè. Esmè has a mummy. And I'm only looking after her. Besides, it will be practice for when I have this one," Lexi said.

Tom smiled and nodded. "No matter what, I will support you," Tom said as Lexi looked to him and smiled.

Knowing she was doing this for Leigh.