3 8 | f e e l i n g s

• n o o r •

After seventeen hours and many failed attempts at sleeping, the flight finally landed at the airport and I took a sigh of relief. I nudged Faaris, who seemed to have quite used to sleeping in flight. Not a surprise. He must have spent many nights of his life in the airplane.

Even the air of Pakistan felt different than that of US. As soon as I stepped out of the plane, the familiar warmth greeted me. I knew nobody at the airport but despite that, it felt like I was home, like everyone at the airport was part of my family.

After all the proceedings, we hired the cab and loaded all our luggage in it. This was supposed to be a surprise visit so we haven't informed my family. There was a moderate risk of Mama going full rogue on me for this, as she usually needs three business days to prepare food for guests and gatherings.

The car ride to the house was around half hour long. I couldn't contain my excitement and Faaris looks happy as well. During the drive, I came across many familiar sights and each one held a different memory of my childhood or college life. I grew up eating food from these restaurants, doing groceries with my parents in these supermarkets and exploring these streets with my friends. No amount of cleanliness or greenery on the roads of US could make up for it.

"Happy?" Faaris asked as he found me staring around with a huge smile on my face.

"Very." I replied and he smiled at that.

The car finally stopped in front of my house. My house, the place I call home. The sight dipped my heart and I felt tears prickling the back of my eyes. I might have stood there for an hour if it wasn't for Faaris, who held my hands tightly and pulled me forwards. He rang the bell and we waited for someone to open the door.

It was Papa who opened the door and after seeing me, he rubbed his eyes twice.

"Noor?' He asked in confusion.

"Yes Papa," I smiled. "Surprise?" Papa was never the one to show emotions but I could still see the unbridled emotions on his face. He might have cried if his son-in-law wasn't standing there. So, he just patted my head and kissed my forehead.

"You almost gave me a heart attack." He said and then moved forwards to meet Faaris.

After the initial greetings, he took us inside where Dado and Mama was sitting. I motioned Dado to stay quiet while I went behind Mama and put my hands on her eyes.

"Maheen?" She asked.

"Guess again." I whispered in her ears.

"Noor? Ya Allah!" She turned in her seat and hugged me tightly. "Is it really you Noor?"

"It is very much her." Dado said.

Mama placed some sloppy kisses on my cheeks. She was crying and it made me cry as well. She was the person I had missed the most while being away. A mother's love is different. It is the only love in the world that is purely unconditional.

Leaving Mama for a minute, I went towards Dado and greeted her. I was in the process when I heard Maheen shriek while walking out of her room. She ran towards me and almost jumped at me, knocking me on the sofa with the force of her excitement.

"Maheen you're suffocating me." I shouted but she kept hugging. Behind us, I heard Faaris' laugh.

•••••

It took around an hour or two until the initial surprise washed away. Now, all of us were sitting in the drawing room, exchanging pleasantries. Mama had already went to kitchen because she couldn't see her beloved son-in-law without food and although I wanted to help, Maheen didn't let me move.