3 7 | s u r p r i s e

• n o o r •

It was Friday and we were just wrapping us the week in the office.

"I'm going to LA to meet my boyfriend's parents. What are your plans for the weekend? " Caroline asked.

"Uh... I don't have any plans. Probably would take some rest and recharge myself." I said.

"Well... Good for you." She said and stood up to leave.

Faaris was waiting for me downstairs so I called the day off and went downstairs.

The car ride to home was silent but it felt like something was going on in Faaris's mind. He seemed distracted and perplexed. I wanted to ask but I didn't know how to initiate a conversation after being tough on him for so many days.

On reaching home, I went to take a shower. Showering at night was definitely more therapeutic and relaxing than showering in the morning so I took my time, inhaling the new lavender scent of my body wash. About half an hour later, I changed into my pyjamas and walked into the bedroom where a strange sight awaited me.

The lights in the room were dimmed and there was a pathway lined by candles leading out of the room. I furrowed my eyebrows in confusion and started walking in between the candles. The path led to the stairs where a bouquet of roses was waiting for me. I picked it up and climbed down the stairs, a smile appearing on my face. By now, I had a little idea what was going on.

Not bad, Faaris.

The trail then led me to the entrance of the lounge where something else was waiting for me. I picked up the small box and unwrapped it, revealing a ring. It didn't look like an ordinary ring but a very expensive one, as evident by the shine of the diamond.

I wore it in my finger and then walked forwards, reaching the end of the trail that was at the drawing room couch. There was an envelope there waiting for me. From the corner of my eyes, I could see Faaris standing against the kitchen counter, staring at me. I looked at him momentarily and then picked up the envelope.

I tore the envelope and revealed what looked like tickets to Pakistan, TO PAKISTAN!!!

"Seems like we will be visiting Food street pretty soon." Faaris walked over to me and said.

"Ya Allah!" I shrieked. Overwhelmed with emotions, I jumped up in excitement and wrapped my arms around Faaris, almost knocking him out. He stood still for a moment and then hugged me in return, hiding his face in the crook of my neck.

"Does that mean I am forgiven?" He asked.

"Yes. Yes, yes." I repeated, controlling the tears appearing in my eyes.

I know it hasn't been quite long since I came here but for me, it was a lifetime. Though US had been very welcoming, I missed everything about my country, my home and my family. Papa's support, Mama's food, Maheen's teasing, Dado's snarky comments, everything. No amount of videocalls and phone-calls could make up for the absence of their presence in my life.

As my emotions started to stable, I realized my position. Faaris and I were clinging to each other, his lips dangerously close to the nape of my neck.

"Faaris." I whispered.

"Hmm." he nuzzled, his hot breath warming my skin.

Something stirred in my belly and I pulled myself away from him. He looked disappointed at the loss of contact and that made me blush.

"I'll cook something. You go freshen up." I said.

"Sure." he said unenthusiatically.

•••••