1 4 | n i k a a h

A/N: I seriously need to go to a wedding. I have no idea how these things work.

••••••••••

• n o o r •

Standing in front of the huge mirror, I stared at my reflection, that stared back at me with equal intensity. I looked like a normal bride, although my Lehnga was a little less flashy. The moisture in my eyes could easily be mistaken for the effects of the colored contact lenses. Nobody could guess that I had spent the whole last night crying in my bedroom.

I was wearing a light golden lehnga with jewelry that was heavy enough to cause me backache. Although most brides wear red on the Baraat ceremony, I decided against it and chose a simple golden color. To Mom's relief, I let her pair the outfit with an embroidered red dopatta to give it more dulhan-y vibes.

From outside, I looked like a perfect bride. From inside, I was a jittery mess. Few hours, just few more hours and everything will change. I will be Faaris' wife and he will be my husband. We will have to stay together and what not. Even the thought of being with him in a closed room was making me hyperventilate.

Ya Allah, help me.

"Aapi, Aapi, Aapi." Maheen entered my room in hurry. "Your groom has arrived."

"Okay." I said and dabbed some tissue paper on my lips to lighten the lipstick. The makeup artist had applied crimson color on my lips although I specifically asked for nude color.

"Don't you want to see him?" She asked.

"I'll see him after the Nikaah." I said and watched her as she peeked out of the window curiously.

"Faaris Bhai looks really handsome in white Sherwani." She said and I absentmindedly nodded.

"Maulvi Sahab will be coming here any minute now. Where is Noo---" Mama entered the room in full hurry, but stopped when she saw me. She put her hand on her mouth and stared at me with unshed tears in her eyes.

"MaShaAllah, you make such a beautiful bride, Noor. I pray you get your smile and happiness back, meri Jaan. You never have to shed a single tear." She said and enveloped me in a hug. My eyes filled up at her words and I controlled myself from bursting into tears.

"Okay, no time to cry. Your father must be waiting for me outside. There is so much to arrange yet and here I am, wasting time." She said, wiping her tears and walked out of the room in hurry.

I went back to the couch and waited for the ceremony to start. In our families, the Bride and Groom sign the papers separately and then the Bride is taken into the marriage hall.

So I sat there and waited, and waited, and waited until half an hour later, Mama and Papa arrived with some witnesses and the religious scholar who was going to lead the Nikaah.

During the official signing ceremony, my head remained covered with the red dopatta. The Maulvi Sahab asked me if I accepted Faaris as my husband three times and I said "Qubool Hai" all three times. It felt surreal, as if I was dreaming everything and soon, I will wake up and all of this would be a dream.

But it wasn't.

Mama forced a Gulaab Jamun right into my mouth and then everyone around me cheered in happiness. It was Faaris' turn to sign the papers outside while I got ready to walk into the hall and see him for the first time after Nikaah.

"Are you happy, aapi?" Maheen asked as she set the dopatta back on my shoulder.

"Does it matter? It's either Faaris or a stranger." I said, keeping my eyes on the floor.