Final Task

The morning of Feyre's final task loomed over everybody's head. Rhys had originally planned to fake Artemis's pregnancy, but they knew Amarantha would sense it the moment she walked into the throne room. So, they dressed Vyta up in the darkest clothing that they could summon and wrapped her tightly in an equally dark, thick blanket. Artemis was also dressed in all black and they both said a prayer before they left the room.

When they got to the throne room, it was already swarming with people. Though, when they settled themselves towards the middle of the pathway that was created in the center of the room, Amarantha gave Artemis a smirk. The smirk ran through Artemis and she had to clutch tightly to Vyta.

It wasn't a few moments later that the doors to the throne room flung open and every fae went completely silent. As Feyre walked down the path they had created for her, a few of the fae touched their fingers to their lips and extended their hands to her. Artemis knew the gesture. It was a farewell for the honored dead. It was a generous gesture, not one of malice.

Artemis watched Feyre hold her chin high as she approached Amarantha's throne. Artemis noticed that Feyre looked directly at Amarantha and kept her eyes away from Tamlin.
"Two trials lie behind you and only one more awaits. I wonder if it will be worse to fail now—when you are so close."

Amarantha seemed to wait for the people around her to laugh, but only her guards hissed one out. Everybody else was silent. Silent and waiting. Amarantha glared at her subjects but smiled sweetly at Feyre.
"Any last words to say before you die?"

Artemis could hear the colourful curse words flow through Feyre's mind, but all the human did was direct her eyes to Tamlin. "I love you. No matter what she says about it, no matter if it's only with my insignificant human heart. Even when they burn my body, I'll love you."
Artemis had to let out a steading breath at Feyre's words. She glanced to Rhys and she could see how hard he was trying to keep his emotions from showing.

"You'll be lucky, my darling, if we even have enough left of you to burn."
The silence that rippled through the throne room wasn't at all shocking. The spectators were all in silent agreement. They would all keep their jeers and smiles away in hopes that it will make Feyre stronger.
"You never figured out my riddle, did you?" Artemis had completely forgotten the damn riddle. "Pity. The answer is so lovely."

Artemis narrowed her eyes at how Amarantha emphasized the last words.
"Get it over with." Feyre nearly growled.
Amarantha looked to Tamlin. "No final words to her?" When Tamlin said nothing, Amarantha grinned at Feyre. "Very well, then."
The queen clapped her hands twice and the door behind them swung open.

Three figures with brown sacks tied over their heads were dragged in by the guards. Two were male, one was female. Their concealed faces turned from side to side to try to discern the whispers that had started around the throne room. With hard shoves, the guards forced the three faeries to their knees at the foot of the dais but facing Feyre. Amarantha clapped her hands again and three darkly dressed servants appeared beside each of the faeries.

Each servant held a dark velvet pillow with a single polished wooden dagger sitting on top. Artemis swallowed when she realized the blades were made of Ash.
"Your final task, Feyre," Amarantha seemed to like the drawl of her voice. "Stab each of these unfortunate souls in the heart."

Artemis knew what Feyre was to do the moment she saw the daggers.
"They're innocent—not that it should matter to you since it wasn't a concern the day you killed Tamlin's poor sentinel. And it wasn't a concern for dear Jurian when he butchered my sister. But if it's a problem...well, you can always refuse. Of course, I'll take your life in exchange, but a bargain's a bargain, is it not? If you ask me, though, given your history with murdering our kind, I do believe I'm offering you a gift."