Autumn

She did dare. When Rhys was asleep, she slipped out of the room and made her way down to the dungeon. It was dark and cold and the thin shawl she wore did little to rid her body of goosebumps. She made sure to wear all black so she was as hidden as possible. The only colour on her was her violet eyes and the blue shine of her hair in the faelight.

Artemis round the corner and went further down into the mountain. The lights down at this level came fewer and fewer. Eventually, they only came once a corridor. Artemis was so focused on not making a sound that when she rounded the corner, she didn't realize there was somebody already walking in the opposite direction.

The two nearly ran into each other and Artemis's heart pounded in her chest. Though, when she looked up, her fear turned to anger as she looked up at Lucien. She hadn't seen Lucien since before her mother's death. She even once held a liking to the male. But in this moment, Artemis could stab him and not feel any guilt.

"What are you doing down here?"
Lucien huffed a breath. "Me? I could ask the same of you."
Artemis grit her teeth. "What are you doing, Lucien?"
"I'm making sure F—" He cut his word short. "I'm making sure she's okay."
Artemis felt her anger. "What? Don't have the balls to save her?"

Lucien tilted his head. "I can't and you know that."
Artemis huffed. "I would think you'd had some grand plan to get her and her lover out." She wasn't angry with the human, but at the male in front of her.
"I wanted to make sure she was still fit to fight."

"She got the shit beat out of her. She won't be fit to fight for a while."
Lucien let out a calm breath. "Look, I know you have some hatred for Tamlin, but I have done nothing to you." Lucien voiced what was really being said between them.
Artemis huffed a scoff. "Hatred? I loath your High Lord. As for you, I'm fairly certain you did nothing to keep them away."

Lucien shook his head, obviously angry, but chose to keep the peace. "I didn't know they were going to do that. I—"
"Do what, Lucien? Ambush us and take my mother's head." Artemis took a threatening step forward. "Tell me. Are my mother's wings still on display in the Spring Court? Or did the High Lord tire of them and turn them to ash?"

Lucien shook his head with grief. "I don't know what Tamiln's father did with them."
The truth to his words made Artemis shake her head. "You are lucky that Amarantha has her claws deep in him. Because if she didn't, I would not hesitate to drive an ash blade through his chest and out his back. Maybe I'll take his head for good measure."

Lucien swallowed, but then he said softly. "I'm sorry that Tamlin caused you that pain. I'm sorry you resent the Spring court because of it. But please know that the Autumn court still supports the Night Court." Lucien was trying to keep the conversation civil.
Artemis stepped back. "Even after someone managed to slip through your wards to try and kill me?"

Lucien bowed his head down. He would never win this argument.
"Good night, Artemis."
At the abrupt end to the conversation, Artemis let out a huff. Lucien carefully slipped around her and went down the dark hall. Soon, his figure blended into the darkness. Artemis had to pull in and let out a deep, steadying breath before she shook her head and continued down the corridor.

***

Artemis let out a tired breath after she winnowed her and Cassian to a designated area within the Autumn Court. Winnowing had become increasingly more difficult as the months went on. When she saw that the couple were the last to arrive, she let out another huff.
"Nice of you to join us."