chapter fifty three: chips & guac

Start from the beginning

"You don't have to apologize. It's just...I'm worried, you know?"

"I understand, but give her some time. She'll come around eventually." she reassures me.

Yeah. I hope so.

I nod in agreement as the game starts streaming.

I turn my attention to the TV and Raven and Bev walking into the living room. In their hands are bowls and setting them on the table, it's chips and salsa.

"Do you have guac?" Allie asks, taking a chip and dipping it in the salsa.

"No. We ran out, sorry." Bev shrugs and takes a seat.

"Aww man." Allie pouts.

"Isn't there, like, a Stop & Shop a few minutes from here?" I ask.

This makes Allie sit up. "Ooo, yeah there is." she smiles.

"I can go get some and be back. I can miss a few minutes of the game." I explain.

"I'm coming with!" Allie shouts.

"Well if you two are going, do you mind grabbing more chips too? We're almost out." Bev asks.

"Sure." I agree, standing up from the couch.

"Tell us if we miss anything!" Allie shouts on the way out.

We walk to her car and it's about a ten minute drive to the store. We decided once inside to split up.

"I'll get the guac. You get the chips?" Allie offers.

I shrug in agreement and head towards the snack aisle. As I pass each aisle I catch a glimpse of something that makes me slow down.

Did I see that right?

I walk back an aisle and pretend to search it. When a particular redhead came through a few seconds later, I rolled my eyes in annoyance.

She pretended to look for something but was doing a terrible job at it. When she caught me staring she froze.

This woman-no this girl matter of fact, needs to stop with this stalking shit.

I know Hunter would kill me for talking to her, but he's not here. As sad as that is, at least this is a positive.

I walk towards her and her eyes leave mine. "You really need to get out of here."

"What are you talking about?" she's quick to respond.

"Oh don't act like I don't know who you are, Kelsey." I throw her name in there to prove my point.

Her posture changes and so does her whole expression. "Nice to finally talk to you Dani." she smiles.

She smiled? What the fuck.

But that's not important. I just need to put her in her place.

"Look. I know you think being here will somehow bring Hunter back, but you're only pushing him away. So why don't you just leave."

"I can't do that." she says in a monotone voice.

"Why not?" I push. "Too obsessed?" I raise a brow.

I see her lip twitch before her demeanor changes. "Not obsessed. I'll get him back, just watch."

This girl can't be serious.

I roll my eyes at her. "Just leave him alone. He wants nothing to do with you. Same for me."

"Why do you even care?" she crosses her arms.

"Why do I even care?" I repeat her words. "Because I'm his girlfriend, that's why I care."