Chapter Seventeen

Start from the beginning

Someone wearing a guard uniform appeared behind us though he wasn't wearing a helmet. I gave him a glare before putting my knife away and taking one from Gus's belt. "I'll take care of these guys and meet you out there while you take care of him," Gus ordered and I agreed to turn back and head to the guy at the far side of the room. Gunshots echoed but I paid them no mind. 

I rushed towards him, tackling him to the ground. "Wait! Don't hurt me! I'm not one of them!" He shouted in fear. This caused me to pause.

"Who are you?" I asked while holding my knife to his throat.

"Luz!" He shouted in panic and my eyes went wide.

"You know Luz?" I asked but suddenly I was tackled to the side landing hard on the ground. I looked up to see Luz hovering over me. She grabbed my wrists and pinned them to the ground. Her grip had been extremely tight as it began to hurt.

"Matt, get out of here!" She shouted at him. I thought I saw a flash of red in her eyes but I'd assumed it was from the adrenaline rushing through me. I struggled in her grip as I overheard Gus coming back through the door with sweat on his forehead and the 'Matt' kid right behind him. I watched them both slam the doors shut as I heard gunshots ring out.

"Amity! They're letting them out of a truck and sending them to us! I've never seen anything like it but we're in big trouble!" Before I could respond to Gus I saw multiple figures of monsters slamming against the windows. My heart skipped a beat at hearing this as a memory from the last time I saw Edric resurfaced to the forefront of my mind. This had happened to me before and it didn't end well the last time. This group, they were far more dangerous than I could've ever imagined. 

"Amity?" Luz questioned in disbelief while releasing my wrists from her hold. I brought my hands up and removed the helmet while breathing heavily.

"Good to see you too," I said sarcastically through my breaths as I let the air cool me. Luz stood up and offered me a hand before pulling me up to stand. She was looking at me as if she couldn't believe I had actually been standing before her. She went to say something though I cut her off as the sounds grew louder and the glass began to crack.

"Save it for later okay? We need to get going." I said before picking up her familiar bat and shoving it into her chest. She looked a bit hurt and angry but we didn't have time for it. Gus and Matt had pushed something in front of the door before they both backed up and looked at us with worry. The monsters began to break through, some reaching out towards Matt as he jumped back.

"Let's go, now!" Luz said as she went to stand in front of us with her bat at the ready. I looked toward Gus and gave him a nod before we took the lead further into the building. I heard glass shatter behind me but I kept moving forward even as the growls of the monsters grew near. Gus was grabbed from behind and I turned around in shock. Before I could make an attempt to save him Matt shoved the Monster off of him and into a wall.

They both had fallen behind Luz and me as the monsters made up the ground. My eyes went wide. "Gus!" I screamed as images of my brother crossed my mind. I made a move to go after him but a strong grip on my wrist pulled me away.

"No Amity. You'll get killed." Luz said firmly and I ripped myself from her grasp in anger.

"It's okay Amity! Get outside and we'll meet you!" Gus shouted as Matt grabbed his arm and they rushed down the hall closest to them. I turned around in panic and followed Luz as we rushed down our own hall. Luz ran up to a chained stairway door and kicked it with so much force the chain broke and the door flew open. We both ran up the stairs to the second floor before she threw that door open. It slammed shut behind us as we both looked around breathing heavily.