Epilogue

Nik's POV
Five years later

I wake up and I call Miles saying "hey, I'm leaving the house. I'm going to work" and he says "ok, when is Active Study? I wanna come have fun with you guys." I say "were doing empty bets today. You should come in. It's second period. It'll be fun" and he says "ok, I love you" and I say "I love you too." I shower, get dressed, and I drive to the school. I teach senior English and a special class I like to call Active Study.

I made Active Study a class to teach different aspects of sports in every way. Its a combination of my English and Civil Engineering degree along with sports. We do things like write sports current event papers. Sports journalism. We'll do physics related experiments pertaining to sports and I'll focus on mental health and leadership skills that you need to take on a sport.

Majority of my students are high school jocks filled with testosterone that don't want to take a science or english. They have to pass an english test to take my class cause it barely counts as an english credit. You just learn how to write like a journalist. I negotiated with the principal very well to count it as an english and a science. She really likes me too like thinks I'm super hot and flirts with me every chance she gets.

I walk in and have my homeroom then an English class then my class full of boys walk in. I say "hurting today?" One of my guys say "yeah, we had squat last night. Nik, it was awful." They all sit down and I say "well, today I have some fun in store." They all look at me skeptically and I say "seriously? Have a little faith in me, damn. I thought I was your favorite" sitting on my desk. The same guy, David, says "well, what are we doing then?" I say "we are placing our empty bets today. Making NFL brackets today." They all high five and I say "see? Have a little faith, guys."

Miles walks in and says "what did I miss?" I say "absolutely nothing" looking at him. He sits in my chair and spins around then says "so?"

I say "here's the deal today. I need to pull out the giant whiteboard." They all cheer and I chuckle saying "the whiteboard of pain" getting up and Miles says "I got it." I say "thank you" smiling and sitting back on my desk. He gets up and grabs it, handing it to me. I say "talk amongst yourselves, give me a second. I think I need a few more white boards." Miles says "make a bracket for all the teams playing in week one. Then you can add more and erase as you go, love." I say "sounds good, thank you" and I draw and I say "who's playing who?"

Miles starts listing them out and I smile saying "did you remember that by heart?" He says "yeah, is there anything else in my life that I have to remember?" The guys all look at each other at this and laugh. One of them says "you're in the doghouse tonight, bro." I say "I don't know, our anniversary? My birthday? Why you love me so much?"

He says "but if I have you, I don't have to remember that." I say "you have to remember to keep me around" and he chuckles saying "I love you?" I chuckle saying "I love you. Ok, I have it all written. Battle it out, who's gonna win? Bills or Rams?"

I get up, standing the board against my desk, and I go over to Miles saying "how was your morning?" I sit on my desk in front of him and he says "a couple new people want to train with me and Maxwell came in and pretended to be a cardio bunny."

I laugh saying "oh Maxwell" shaking my head. I say "have we all agreed yet?" One of the guys say "the Rams" and they all agree and Miles says "oh come on, the Bills weren't that bad last year."

One of my students say "the Rams were better though. Statistically speaking" and Miles says "yeah, I remember that. I was just messing with y'all."

Miles says "wanna get married?" I say "were already engaged. Were just procrastinating." I sigh and he mumbles "do you want a wedding?" I say "if you want one" and he mumbles "I don't think I do." I mumble "I don't think I want one either." I look at him and he says "saves us money" quietly. I sigh, chuckling, and I mumble "just a piece of paper, no?"

He says "yeah, spend the money on something else." I say "what do you want to buy?" Miles says "a squat rack, maybe a house along with a squat rack." I say "is that the cost of a wedding?" He says "about" nodding making me chuckle. I say "how much does the average wedding even cost?"

Miles says "who the hell knows." I say "no swearing, there are children." He says "they swear more than we do, you don't remember being a teenager?" I say "I remember being a teenager" rolling my eyes. I say "we were wild in high school" and he says "correction, we were nerds."

One of my students says "wait, you guys were nerds in high school? What?!" I chuckle saying "the biggest nerds you've ever seen are right here" chuckling. Miles says "maybe you but not me" and I say "who graduated from a ten percent acceptance rate college with a med major?" Miles says "and who's a double major where both the majors are engineering and English? Which are also masters degrees?" I say "you win, I'm the nerd."

Miles says "nerd" and I finish teaching my class, Miles goes home, I finish the day, then I go home. Miles and I get home at the same time and he opens the front door for me saying "I love you." I say "I love you too." Miles says "I don't know what I'd do without you."

I smile saying "I think about you as much as you think about me" him smiling then leaning down to kiss me.