Chapter Two - Kindie Kids

I gulped, trying to muster the words to explain myself. "I don't think..." I began, but Taylor had already left my side - striding into the middle of the carpet and clapping his hands together authoritatively.

"River Banks!" he instructed, all the kids freezing mid play and joining hands to form two parallel lines facing inwards towards the leader. I continued to stand motionless by the door, petrified with embarrassment. "Come on, Coop." Taylor instructed, beckoning me over. "You can join in the opening ceremony. It's easy. Just copy Laurie." He indicated a place at the end of the line next to a little boy with a messy mop of golden hair and a brown piece of fabric hanging from the back of his bucket hat. I noticed that the other kids all had similar tails; some in brown, some in blue, and some in white. The brown-tail boy gave a broad excitable smile, holding out a small pudgy hand for me to hold.

Uneasily, I stumbled toward the line and lightly held onto Laurie's hand; he quickly adjusted and snatched my hand whole heartedly. "Build the dam!" Taylor addressed the room. I didn't know what to do but another boy reached his hand towards my free one. I watched as the children started to form a circle, so I followed suit.

Taylor waved his hands toward the ground and the brown vested kids let go and knelt down. I stood there for a moment dumbfounded. "Down here." Laurie whispered to me. I shot to the ground as everyone stared.

The children raised their hands in some weird fist shape. I tried to mimic them not wanting to stand out and just trying to get through with the odd ritual. Taylor looked around smiling. "Who are you and what do you do?"

The kids sucked in a deep breath, I could almost hear the cheer before they all shouted at the same time. "Beavers, Beavers, Beavers, Sharing, Sharing, Sharing!" I didn't know what to say and just watched as some of them smiled, while others rolled their eyes. All of them except for me participated. No one seemed to mind though.

The kids started with a quiet chant, apparently building to something big "Oooo." they hummed, until all at once they jumped up and clapped their hands behind their back. Now I was the only one kneeling! I quickly stood up and made a small clap which caused a couple kids beside me to giggle. Laurie just slapped my back, giving me an amused smile.

Everyone slowly sat cross legged in a circle. Joining this time felt natural. could just sit and listen and explain the mixup to Taylor after the meeting had started. Beside Taylor sat a large stuffed beaver with a bowl in front of it. "It's time to feed the beaver." Taylor told the group, one by one the Beavers went up and deposited some money into the bowl.

Once Laurie sat down all eyes were on me. "I-I-I don't know what to do." I stammered not realizing how nervous I had gotten during that awkward ceremony.

"Of course, Coop, it's your first meeting and you're just a kit." Taylor answered - using that word again. I grumbled, remembering that he had basically just called me a baby. "We're collecting the dues, but it's alright if you don't have it right now." He said calmly. "Just come up and pat the Beaver."

I stood up and walked over to the Beaver. Of course, all eyes were on me, being the no nothing kit. I did have money though. I had plenty of change! In fact, I had better change than the rest of these babies did - I had American money! I shoved my hands back into my pockets and grabbed as much as I could. Out of my pockets rained down coins of all denominations to a jiggly clatter on the classroom floor. The coins swiftly spread out in every direction, easily rolling around. "I got it!" I squeaked again, for the second time that day.

The kids all seemed to jump at once, grabbing up the coins and depositing them into the bowl for me. In truth I hadn't intended to give all of it to the beaver, but I wasn't about to fish my Lincoln faced pennies out of the bowl in front of everyone! Embarrassed and red faced enough, I just sat down beside Laurie and tried to hide underneath the brim of my hat while they finished their ceremony.

Eager BeaverOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara