Chapter 54

The pounding in her head made her snap her eyes open, she was confused for a second when she saw she was on the couch, but then she remembered.

Tears instantly filled her eyes as she slapped a hand against her mouth to muffle her cries and sobs, but a loud sob escaped, shutting down her attempts.

A blood curling scream left her when a hand touched her shoulder. She scooted to the edge of the couch, hugging her knees to her chest as she sobbed harder.

"Nevaeh, calm down." Hades held his arms up when he saw her flinch.

"N-no no no no no." She started mumbling, fisting her hair tightly with her eyes wide.

"Nevaeh, sweetheart, take a deep breath for me." Theodore spoke calmly, taking slow steps towards her.

"No no NO NO." Her voice got louder with each passing second, her cries and tears increasing.

Her hands balled up into fists, hitting her head repeatedly.

"You don't understand!" She hit her head harder with each word.

"Tell me, help me understand so we can help you." He went near her, slowly to stop her from hurting herself.

She screamed, clutching her head as she slid down the wall.

"You'll never get away from me Nevaeh, no one will love you other than me, no matter where you go, I'll always find you, remember that." 

His words kept repeating in her head, playing over and over like a record put on repeat.

Her hands dropped to her sides, her head hitting the wall behind her in pain and anguish.

Theo kneeled down beside her, putting her head on his chest and letting her cry her pain out. The others watched silently, their hearts squeezing painfully at the sight.

"Y-you c-can't let h-him find m-me, Theo." She begged, fisting his shirt.

"Who? Tell me who." He spoke, hugging her head close to his chest.

"Joe, Joe Mickelson y-you can't let him find m-me." She choked out, her body shaking.

"I'll not let him find you, I promise. I'll kill him before he thinks of finding you." He glanced at the others, seeing their anger and confusion on their faces, he himself was confused.

"What did he do, Nevaeh?" He asked, running his fingers thru her hair, trying to soothe her.

She hiccuped, squeezing his hand, "H-he hurt me Theo, he h-hurt me bad, so b-bad."

"I told you to be fucking quite! Can't you listen for once!" Joe yelled at the small girl that was shaking in the corner, looking at him with fear.

He grabbed the small pocket knife out of his pocket and opened it, the sharp metal tip of the knife staring mockingly at the girl.

He stalked towards her, his usual creepy smile taking over his face.

He took the dirty cloth from the floor and stuffed it in her mouth, silencing her cries and whimpers.

He grabbed her by her hair and threw her on the floor, stepping on her leg.

He crouched down, slicing her dirty shirt open, he put his weight on her, stopping her movements. He ran the tip of the knife on her shoulder blade, holding her head down on the wooden floor.

Nevaeh screamed into the cloth when she felt the knife dig into her skin. He dug the knife some more before he finished, leaning down and kissing his "masterpiece"

"Masterpiece." He whispered menacingly in her ear.

J.M

His initials were carved into her shoulder blade, she stared at it through the broken mirror, tears wetting her cheeks.

Nevaeh touched her shoulder, digging her nails into it with her eyes closed tightly as she recalled the memory.

Theo noticed, lifting the shirt and staring at her back in horror.

Jonathan moved forward and what he saw made him sick to his stomach. All color drained from his face at the sight of her scarred back.

Their eyes zeroed on her shoulder, seeing the rough edges of the knife and the letters carved on her delicate skin.

Theo put the shirt back down, not saying anything looking at Jonathan who looked like he was going to throw up.

Her cries have turned into sniffles, her eyes were red and puffy from all the crying and her head pounded like crazy.

He picked her up and sat on the couch, Eliot and Hades going to the kitchen and returning seconds later with something to eat along with a glass of cold water with painkillers.

Eliot made her take a bite of the bread he'd just made before he handed her a painkiller.

She downed the water, satisfying her dry throat.

"Find him." Theodore ordered, his voice cold and angry.

"You can't let him find me." Nevaeh whispered, her eyes tired and droopy.

"We won't, we promise." Hades whispered, kissing her forehead gently.

He made her lie her head on his lap, gentle stroking her head softly.

"You can't." She whispered one last time before all the crying and screaming came crashing down at her.

Once they made sure she was sleeping, Theodore spoke, the don in him appearing.

"Call them." He said, his tone cold.

It was time the Santiago family know the truth.