Chapter 18

"Making your rounds?" Alby smirked down at me.

I rolled my eyes in response. Lately I started my morning's by sitting and chatting with Newt and then Sig. Sig has gotten over me, something for his own good, and now I come and check in with him although he insists that I don't have to look after him 24/7.

"Hey!" I chirped, walking into Newt's hospital room. He tore his eyes away from the wall and looked at me.

"Hey." He sent a small smile my way.

"How're you feeling?" 

"Actually." His smile grew "Pretty good."

A huge grin split across my face "Do you wanna come down and get breakfast with me?" I immediately knitted my eyebrows and bit my lip, I shouldn't have asked him that.

"Yeah, I would really like that." He looked up at me. 

We hadn't told eachother we loved eachother since that night he woke up but I wanted nothing more than to say it right then. For once I bit my tongue though.

He shakily pushed himself out of bed and got his balance. For the past couple of weeks Minho and I have been helping him walk again, with Clint supervising of course. Newt's walking ability was pretty much back to normal, he has a pretty noticeable limp but Clint says he doesn't know if that'll go away.

This is the first time Newt is participating in a meal with the other gladers, he's only been outside the hospital a couple times when either Minho or I took him on a walk. 

We slowly walked towards the wooden tables. Newt was constantly focusing on different things. Trees, plants, buildings, gladers he hasn't seen for weeks and the walls. He was taking everything in. 

I reached my hand down and intertwined my fingers with his, letting him know I was here for him. He focused on me and smiled. 

The closer we got to the tables the more stares we got. Stares because they hadn't seen Newt for weeks and stares because this was the first time we went 'public'.

We sat at our usual table. Minho was already in the maze so it was just us, Alby and Ben. 

"Hey good to see ya buddy." Ben nodded at Newt. 

"You too." Newt took a bite of his toast. 

"Alby, I'm ready to start working." Newt announced. Everyone at the table looked at it.

"Newt." Alby paused "You sure?"

"Yes. I can't sit in that bloody hospital room doing nothin anymore."

"Okay okay." Alby was thinking "We should have a meeting with Clint, talk about what you'll be able to do." 

Newt nodded his head and went back to eating.

"Alright Ben, Clarissa, you two get to work. Newt let's go talk to Clint about getting you working."

Newt squeezed my hand from under the table before we parted ways.

A/N SORRY I HAVNT UPLOADED IN SO LONG. I'VE BEEN REALLY REALLY BUSY AND NOT IN A GOOD PLACE. I KNOW THIS IS RLY SHORT BUT I WANTED TO GET SOMETHING OUT. LOOK FORWARD TO MORE REGULAR UPDATES:)