Chapter 1

We're friends.

We've been friends for a long time. I suppose it's been almost a decade now. Leni and I worked in the same circle and around the same people. One time, she told me how grateful she is that I was one of her first friends at work. I smiled and told her that I may already have had a lot of friends when she came, but still, I was glad to have gotten to know and be close to her.

Since the first year that she started working with us, Leni has been my constant companion. I shared my deepest secrets with her, my frustrations with work, my everyday experiences, and even my love adventures. She shared the same things with me too.

Leni is my work wife, my shoulder to cry on, my conscience, and sometimes my own mother because god forbid she won't stop reminding and nagging me about things I should do.

She's my best friend.

I sat on the visitor's chair at her office. We were both working on our own things when she looked up at me. "Sa tingin mo ba, magandang idea na makipagwork sa company na 'to? Kasi medyo nangangamba ako na baka sa kalagitnaan ng project, i-decline nila 'yung partnership."

She handed me the paper from across the desk. I took it and scanned it over. "Mukhang okay naman sila. Pero for extra precautions, meet with them first. Sign contracts na rin para sigurado."

Leni nodded and returned back to her work. This was the usual routine for the both of us. Some weeks, I'd visit her in her office and bring food for her and her staff. Other weeks, she'd visit me in mine. We would work together or individually, sometimes I would hang out here while she worked. But more often than not, we talk about the most random of things when we're around each other.

She's not really the type to gossip but I guess that's the effect I have on her. Not that it's a good effect.

I was startled by the sound of her closing her laptop.

"Oh, tapos ka na?" I asked.

"Yes, ikaw?"

I nodded in reply. She took her glasses off and laughed, "Sorry naputol 'yung chika kanina. Ano nga ulit 'yung sinasabi mo?"

"Sabi ko, naiinis ako kay Raf."

"Parang palagi ka na lang naiinis sa boyfriend mo."

"Kasi naman! Alam mo 'yung busy nga siya tapos busy din naman ako pero I can make time for us. Siya, hindi man lang mag-effort..." I continued ranting to Leni about my boyfriend and she listened intently. In the middle of my monologue, she snickered.

"Oh," I raised my eyebrow. "Anong tinatawa tawa mo dyan?"

"Wala," she shook her head while stifling her laughter.

"Ano nga?"

"Wala nga."

I huffed and hit her arm across the desk. "Aray ko, Risa. Ano ba kasi 'yun?"

"Ano nga kasi tinatawa mo dyan?"

"Alam mo kasi, naisip ko lang, ang ganda ganda mo naman." Leni had this pensive look on her face as she trailed on. "Maganda ka, mabait ka, you're an independent woman. Very established sa life, earning your own money, etcetera etcetera. Sa totoo lang, I can go on listing a lot of good things about you."

Where exactly is she going with this? I gave her a confused look and she just stared at the window as if still deeply in thought. "Ang hindi ko lang magets..."

"Ano nga?"

"Bakit puro pangit 'yung jinojowa mo?"

I crumpled the paper beside me and threw it at her. Nakakainis. She laughed and opened her hands in front of her to shield herself from any more crumpled papers coming her way.

"Totoo naman ha. Pangit na nga, hindi ka pa tinatrato nang tama."

"Pa'no mo nasabi?" I rolled my eyes and crossed my arms in front of me.

"Hello, kasi sinasabi mo sa'kin? You settle for less than what you deserve. Masyado na akong maraming alam kaya nasasabi ko 'yun."

I sighed, running my fingers through my hair. Well, she got that part right. I've loved a lot of people in my life, most of whom really don't deserve my love. "What do you suggest I do, then?"

"Hindi ko alam sa'yo. Bakit ba ako tinatanong mo nyan?"

"Wala lang, baka may suggestion ka."

"Sa tingin ko, sabihin mo sa kanya kung ano ba talagang gusto mo. Kung gusto mo na ituloy, edi mag-effort siya. Kung ayaw, edi 'wag na."

"Wag na as in mag-break na kami?"

Leni nodded, packing up her things since work hours were up. I sighed deeply again and groaned loudly. An amused look was etched on Leni's face. "Daming boy problems. Buti pa ako."

"Eh ayaw mo naman magka-boyfriend ulit."

She shrugged and stood up to stretch. "Ayoko nga."

"Bakit ayaw mo?"

"Nakakatamad. Wala akong panahon para sa mga ganyan. Masyado akong maraming kailangan trabahuhin. Saka, the kids diba."

"Ay, sabagay. So, uwi na?" I asked, standing up and carrying my bag.

"Kain muna tayo, nagugutom na ako."

I nodded and shoved her lightly, "Na naman? Ang takaw."

"Hindi ko naman kinakahiya."

She called on her staff and mentioned a few reminders for locking up the office and for the following day. We walked outside, climbed in her van, and went straight to the restaurant near her office.

After dinner, she instructed the driver to drop me off first before taking her to her house.

"Huy, wag na, Lens. Hassle 'yun, super out of the way."

"Ano ka ba," she swatted my hand away before I could begin messaging my own driver to bring me home. "Para namang baguhan ka dito. Nagsasawa na nga ata 'yung driver ko sa pagmumukha mo."

"Wow, salamat ha." I said sarcastically. Leni laughed and reiterated that they would drop me off first.

"Fine, sige na. Oo na, hatid niyo na nga ako pauwi."

"Bibigay din naman pala, kunwari pa."

When we arrived at my house, I leaned in to give her a hug, just like I always would. She returned it kindly and gave me a quick beso.

"Good night, Ris. Salamat sa pagbisita."

"Wala 'yun. Good night din. Ay wait," I stopped her before she could close the door of the van. She stared at me, waiting. "Here. Muntik ko na makalimutan. Souvenir sa trip namin last week. Ingat, Lens. Love you!"

She chuckled and admired the ref magnet I got her. "Thank you dito. Love you too."