Chapter 6-The threat

Arthur and Oliver were standing in front of Satis house, holding hands.

Oliver stared at Arthur, waiting for him to be ready to enter the house.
-Arthur ?
-Yes..yes, I'm sorry I took so long. Let's go.
Arthur squeezed Oliver's hand one more time before letting it go.
They then both entered the large house.

Arthur's sister immediately appeared in front of them. She greeted Arthur before noticing Oliver.
-I don't recall inviting you, sir ... ?
-He's one of my friends, Arthur said.
-Oh. Then have a great night, Sir !
-Thank you, Miss Havisham.

Arthur turned around and Oliver followed him. Some old men greeted Arthur but he only responded coldly. 

A woman came in front of Oliver and asked him to come with her. He looked at Arthur, asking him with his eyes if he should follow her. Arthur did not respond, confused himself about the woman's intentions.

The woman introduced herself as Mrs Burns, apparently she was the wife of one of the Havisham brewery investors.
She led him to a small red door, opened it and invites him to come in.

Her voice was no longer nice. It was an order, not an invitation. He sensed it.
As soon as he entered the door, he saw two man, as tall as giants, carrying coshes.
He was so busy being impressed by the men that he did not notice someone entering the room and hitting him in the head, which caused him to pass out.

————————

Oliver had been gone for half an hour now, and Arthur started to get worried. He had tried to search for him, but he did not remember wheee he and the lady went.
What an idiot, he thought. I should have followed him.

He was getting so worried he started biting his nails. He only did that when he was really stressed.
To calm himself down, he decided to go into a small office that was probably empty, since all the guests were gathered in the same room.

He closed the door behind him. Parties were definitely not his thing, especially since he could not find Oliver.
He put his hands on his forehead and massaged his temples. He even began to cry involuntarily, because of this headache which tore his skull.

Then, a familiar voice came from behind him.
-Isn't your protector with you ?
Arthur could recognise that voice among a thousand. It was Meriwether's.

-What are you doing here ? He said, even though he knew from the beginning Meriwether would be present.

-I wanted to talk to you. It was impossible for me to reach you with...him constantly by your side, so I had to take matters into my own hands.

What did he mean ? Did he hurt Oliver ? Or worse ?
Dozens of questions crossed Arthur's mind within a second.
-What do you mean ? Where is he ?
-He's fine, do not worry about him. Now, I need you to listen.

Arthur nodded, even though he did not want to listen to Meriwether.

-Do you not want everything that's rightfully yours, Arthur ? Because of him, our plan stopped. But it's still time to continue it. We could work together, as we did before. Do not forget; everything I've done, I've done it for you.

Arthur smiled.
-Yes. It's time to continue stealing my sister. You see, Compeyson, you disappoint me.
-I beg your pardon ?
-You still think I'm that stupid ? Stupid enough to listen to you ?

-I still know your secret. It would be a shame if Amelia or my brother found out about it, wouldn't it ? Meriwether smiled as he knew his threat touched Arthur in the heart.

Arthur stopped talking. He did not want Oliver, his only friend at the moment, to find out. Everyone but him.

The weird silence was broke by someone knocking on the door.

-Arthur ? Are you in here ? Amelia asked.
She opened the door, while Arthur was giving a dead stare to Meriwether, ordering him not to move, or breathe.

-I just..needed a moment, Arthur explained. Now, come on, the dance is about to start.
-How about we do it together ? She kindly asked.
He nodded.

They left the room and, at that same moment, Oliver Compeyson woke up.