Chapter 5-The party

Arthur came in. Oliver suddenly got up and put his hands on Arthur's shoulders, worried he might have crossed his brother's way.
He found himself feeling something new, a desire to protect Arthur. The few days Oliver had spent in Arthur's room had brought them much closer.

-What happened ? Did you see Meriwether ?
-No. No I didn't, do not worry. Sadly, I have to go to the Havisham party.
-Isn't that good ?
Oliver was starting to wonder if Arthur was hiding something from him. For example, how he met Meriwether was still a mystery.
-No ! No, it's not. 
-Why do you avoid your sister so much, Arthur ? I've realised I don't know anything about you.
Arthur looked away.
Oliver took his hands in his.
-If you want me to help you, he continued, you need to let me know what are the problems.
-Fine...I'll explain.

They sat on the bed and Arthur noticed Oliver's hand on his thigh.
-When..when my father died, he bequeathed almost everything to her. I felt so angry...I didn't know what I was doing anymore. So I asked Meriwether to seduce her and advise her to revoke the will. But I guess he...he wanted more. He took advantage of the weak state I was in.

Tears started to appear in his beautiful eyes, so Oliver hugged him. Arthur did not push him away, yet he looked away, ashamed to be so  weak.
-Hey, Arthur. My brother is a very good actor, so it's not your fault. You're not the first one he tricked, but you might be the last, if we stop him. You need to tell the truth to your sister.

Arthur looked at him, and the tears started falling down his cheeks. Oliver instantly started to wipe them with his hands.
-I can't, Arthur sobbed. She will never forgive me.
-She will, Arthur. Believe me. She's your family, she loves you.
Oliver stopped, realising what he said was ironic. How could he say that someone's family love them, when Meriwether and him hated each other ?

Arthur smiled; it was his way to show his gratitude. His smile was more like a strange grimace, because of his eyes still full of tears but the whole gave the impression of a child.
A child. That's what he was. A child who had to grow up too early.
Oliver thought he was a strong determined man but here, in this little room, his head lying on Oliver's shoulder, Arthur Havisham was just a boy.

Suddenly, a question crossed Oliver's mind.
-Why did your father leave everything to your sister ?
He talked without thinking first, but he regretted his words as soon as his look crossed Arthur's.
-I...I don't know.

The tone in his voice was pleading for this conversation to stop, he certainly never had a good relationship with his father.
-I'm sorry, I shouldn't have asked you that.

Am awkward silence installed.

-So, the party, Oliver said. Why do you must go ?
-This damn lawyer. He showed me a part of my father's will where it said he could take away my small part of the brewery if I behave in a way that could hurt the business. I need that money.
-Then, I'm coming with you. I'm not letting you alone with Meriwether.
He hugged Arthur.