16. C.B.A

LUKE

Luke opened his eyes, but the bright light forced them to close again. Groaning, he changed his sleeping position and pulled the covers over his bare shoulders as he tried settling back down. Every inch of Luke's muscles pounded, reminding him of the night before... the memories were flooding back in and now, he had to open his eyes to find Lord Cassian Alwyn naked. His hair had never looked more disheveled, and Luke's hands tingled remembering that this was completely his fault.

Cassian cradled his pillows when he slept, and Luke thought this new information might drive him crazy. Luke's crush needed to have breaks. Not torque.

Snapping upright, Luke let out a breath and as he quietly smacked his head over and over with his palms because kicking himself would probably wake Cassian up and Luke needed to have a nervous breakdown alone.

He down looked at Cassian again, Luke's heart, his sanity, and his body at war with each other. Luke knew this wasn't something they could pretend didn't happen because the proof was all over their bodies. With a small huff, Cassian turned, and Luke had a full view of Cassian's back. Covering his face, he took a deep breath before glancing at the shape of Cassian's wide shoulders narrowing to his hips. There were these little dimples above his bare-naked ass and Luke smacked himself in the head again.

Luke snapped around, reaching for something on the floor to cover himself, but he slipped and rolled off the bed, hitting the floor hard. With a curse, he scrambled up and unfortunately, the only thing he could grasp was a lavender dressing gown with feathered sleeves and Luke pondered drowning in the shower like a chicken in the rain.

Cassian snorted.

No. Actually.

Throwing himself off the balcony sounded much faster.

Turning slowly, Luke watched Cassian climb onto his elbows and stare up happily at him. "Hi." Luke crossed his arms, uncrossed them, and crossed again. He didn't know how to act. Didn't know how to be Luke, the Luke that slept with Cassian. He asked, feigning some level of composure, "What's up?"

"Take a breath, Luke," Cassian instructed, and Luke found himself doing so. "Talk to me. What's going through your brain right now?" He rubbed an eye, getting rid of a bit more sleep. "I'm a dragon. Not a mind reader."

"It's just..." Luke held a breath inside his chest, holding it tight before letting it trickle out slow. "I wasn't planning to ever..." Motioning between them, Luke hoped he wasn't further humiliating himself by blushing louder and redder than a firetruck siren. "I don't want to start something. I can't start a... thing."

He couldn't bring himself to say the word "relationship". It carried too much weight and meaning. If he said relationship, Luke would be doing something crazy like admitting he had feelings for Cassian, like he was trying to kill Cassian. He could feel the blood rushing from his face, his body going ice cold. If he could take these thoughts back, he would... but it was too late. The confession was in his head. In his heart.

Luke could've kept Cassian longer if he didn't fall in love with him.

"Luke," Cassian whispered so softly, "Luke. Relax." He scooted across the bed and thankfully the blanket still covered his groin. He held Luke's waist, bringing him in closer. This should make Luke more nervous, should make things worse, but Luke couldn't deny how much his tension eased. Cassian just made him feel so safe without having to do anything.

Cassian whispered, "Relax."

Brow furrowed, Luke's embarrassment burned to a crisp and left behind hot irritation. This dressing robe might melt off his bones. Luke asked, "Why are you so calm? This... this changes everything. It's a big deal—"