3. A Deal with a Dragon

LUKE

Pressing his hands to his face, Luke attempted to keep from combusting. He thought he already figured out Iris's secret life. Everyone made it sound like she found lost items and returned them home, like she provided needs for people... no one else had mentioned thievery, except for Cassian... but Cassian didn't seem like he was lying.

But why him?

Out of everyone, he's the only one with something bad to tell.

And Zipper was apparently rich.

Shaking his head, Luke peeked between his fingers for a millisecond and regretted meeting Astrid's look of pity. He covered his face again. Luke always knew she was well off. Not just because of his parent's life insurance policy, but he just figured, her job that she always told him involved international business paid really great. She sent him to a really nice boarding school. Paid for his college education. Bought him his first car.

But there was well off.

And then, there was owning multiple houses and cars. There were the clothes, the jewelry, and you can always tell the status of a person based on the power of their enemies and Cassian Alwyn was at least wealthy in that regard.

"That damn ring is somewhere in this house I just know it," Cassian declared, slamming his fist with more fervor than a judge with their gavel. He mustered himself up and the door swung open in a burst of wind and heat as he stormed out. A thunder of gasps rippled through the house. Someone called his name in worry.

Luke sighed, his shoulders slumping as he looked to the lawyer. "Where does he get all that energy?" He muttered under his breath. "I'm too depressed for this shit."

Pushing himself up, Luke stormed after Cassian as the dragon threw the double doors open without touching them. Either his presence or the push of hot air parted the crowd again and they were rattling with fear. Cassian marched deeper into the house and everyone backed away quickly without taking their eyes off him.

Cassian was steaming. Smoking from all his edges. The palms of his hands glowed and Luke wanted to asked Kostas if being a merman involved magical water-powers to dose that dragon. "I guess as a dragon you've never had to deal with disappointment before—" The way Luke approached Cassian made the whole room collectively hold their breath. "But I don't know what you want from me!"

Whipping around, Cassian held his hand out, nearly swiping Luke. He was a man of heat, but the fire and conviction burned the brightest in his eyes. "This is going to go one of two ways," Cassian announced to the entire reception with that smug look on his face telling Luke he didn't have a choice. It pinched and twisted at Luke's usually even temperament.

"Either you find me that ring or..." Cassian backed away, keeping his eyes trained on Luke. His glowing hand pressed against one of the bright white columns separating the entrance and one of the sitting rooms. "I will burn this place to the ground. That way we'll be even. One home for another."

One of the shivering pixies groaned. "Uh, Luke, I think he means it!" 

All the blood in Luke's face rushed to his toes as his eyes widened. Luke gawked, yelling at Cassian across the room because he lost the feeling in his legs. "You expect me to find this magical ring for you, when I've only known that magic exists for a few weeks? How do you expect me to do that?"

Cassian tilted his head, smoke starting to seep through his fingers. "Is this you asking to work together?"

Jaw clenched, Luke bellowed, "Absolutely not. I won't work with you. I don't even want to be in the same room with you another second."