9. Emily Marie Aster

LUKE

"Nod if you understand," Ernest instructed Luke, who obediently nodded.

Still holding his waiting wound, Luke got up and Ernest pushed him towards the door. Luke just focused on his breathing, giving his heart medication a glance at the bedside table. That wasn't happening. Taking a deep breath, Luke went down the stairs and he knew the way to the storage was down... but Luke walked out the front door. His bare feet touched the porch and Ernest grabbed his arm, yanking him back.

He fervently whispered, "Where are you going?'' He squeezed, bruising his arm on top of everything else. "What part of you have less than fifteen minutes do you not understand—?"

Luke ripped his arm back and motioned towards the woods. He made his arms go wide as if there was something so important out there, like he could spot the end to the rainbow. Insisting again, Luke did his best to sell it. He didn't know much about creatures like wolves, vampires, and witches. Especially dragons.

He didn't know what inherent abilities of someone like Ernest... he just prayed they couldn't sense it when someone was lying.

"Go then," Ernest sighed and motioned Luke to continue. "Show me whatever forest hut Iris constructed to hide her shit."

Luke nodded and stumbled forward, his nerves tangling and fraying. He walked deeper into the woods with nothing in his corner but being armed with hope. Since Iris passed and Luke came back home, he didn't enjoy leaving it. It was easy to leave with Cassian before... It felt normal. Nothing has been normal in so long, but it was right. Cassian had felt safe.

"What the fuck is that?" Ernest asked.

Following Ernest's look, Luke sighed out of relief and flinched at the collar tightening. Basically, standing plain sight behind a tree was Harry, the Sasquatch. Luke mouthed the words, "Help me."

Brows narrowing, Harry's face twisted in disgust as his whole body trembled with anger. He opened his huge maw full of yellowed gnarly teeth and unleashed an insane scream that rocked Luke backwards into Ernest. With a yelp, Ernest shoved Luke to the ground and Luke heard him running. Harry slammed his fists into the ground like giant boulders and it must've punched holes in the ground, rattling the forest.

Harry.

Nearly twice as big and tall as Luke initially thought. Harry rushed past him with the force of a speeding train, whipping Luke's hair and clothes around as he passed. The ground shook again and Luke dropped, smiling that maybe Cassian at least heard that. He watched in half horror and amazement as Harry quickly caught up to Ernest and grabbed him by the top of his head and threw him up into the trees.

Pushing himself up, Luke started walking towards the house. He got so close; he could touch the light shining onto the grass when a sharp pain went right through Luke. A warm pool of wetness formed in his stomach and spilled down his front and down his legs in a rush. Luke felt ice cold. Went numb like static in his muscles. The ground underneath Luke was ripped from under him. He hit the cold grass and tried to focus on his breathing, but even that was painful.

"Luke! Luke!" One of the pixies, Starla cried out. Her little blue body were blurring in and out. "What happened? What's on your neck?"

Another pixie shouted, "Go find a faerie! Quick!"

"Where's the dragon?!"

As the world turned, Luke did with it, turning to grab onto his side. He stared up at the house, thinking home might be a nice thing to see, if it was going to be the last thing he ever saw. The light left on in the kitchen, Luke could swear he saw Iris washing dishes at the sink.