A Heartstopper FanFiction: Staffroom

The staffroom at Truham is not one of art teacher Nathan Ajayi's favourite places in the school, it has to be said. He doesn't actively avoid going there, but he is not a frequent visitor. He's always found it amusingly ironic that it's one of the scruffiest, untidiest and almost dirty rooms in an institution that prides itself on encouraging its pupils to be as well turned out as possible. So it's with no little surprise that head school coach and games teacher, Chetna Singh-Stevens, idly scribbling lists of pupils' names in her note pad, spies him entering through the shabby door, carrying a mug of coffee in one hand. She waves to attract his attention.

"Hey, Nathan!" she exclaims. "To what do we owe this rare pleasure?"

"Reasons," he says, joining her at scuffed table which probably once graced a classroom but has since been down graded for staff use. "How's Julie?" He doesn't say as much, but he's relieved to see her. Not all the Truham staff are comfortable around "out" colleagues so it's good to find an ally already there.

"She's really well, thanks. How about you?"

Nathan sighs. "Still single."

She pats his hand. "Sorry I asked, should've thought."

"No, don't worry, it's been a while now. I still have bad days sometimes, but I'm still glad he left. It was getting horrible."

She gives his hand a squeeze. "Nevertheless," she says kindly.

"Anyway, enough about me," Mr Ajayi says then raises his eyebrows as though he still can't quite believe what he's about to say. "Charlie Spring has joined the rugby team, I hear."

Chetna grins at him. "He has indeed. Who told you?"

"Oh he did," Mr. Ajayi answers breezily. "He told me proudly, in fact."

She smiles at him. "Did he now?"

He smiles too. "He did," he says. He cocks his head to one side. "There's a boy with him in the art room right now. Charlie says he's on the rugby team too."

Finally Ms Singh puts down the pen she's been absently doodling with while they talk. Break times are precious and she doesn't always want to be working in them. Particularly when her friend has been able to join her for a change. "Ah," she says. "That's interesting."

"Mm," he says. He looks into his mug for a moment as though it holds some secrets. "Charlie is a nice boy. A bit naive, maybe."

She frowns. "You think it's a mistake? His joining the team? I wasn't sure myself to start with. "

"Not exactly built for it, is he?"

She shrugs. "Maybe not. But not every one on the team is bulky by any means. And have you ever seen him run?"

"Can't say there's much call for it in the art block," he chuckles. "Unless I'm angry with someone."

She laughs and sits back in her chair. "He's so bloody fast!" she exclaims. "Not in all my years of teaching have I ever had anyone as good as him. I mean I've even tried to encourage him to go for trials or join the school athletics squad, but no. He doesn't believe in himself enough. Goes out there, kills it every time but just doesn't have the confidence in himself despite all the evidence."

"Yet he's joined your rugby team?"

"And so he has."

They sit in silence for a moment.

"Reasons," Mr Ajayi says just as he did earlier. "The boy in question."

"Well," she smiles. "You know who it is, don't you?"