Chapter 2 | PHASE ONE: Him?

Start from the beginning

Knees, you better not give out right now. You hold it together damn it.

Unable to hold his intimidating gaze, my eyes settle in his lips instead. Now I see why Maddox cowardly dipped out on me the way that he did. If I can feel myself wanting to submit to the leopard than I know Maddox did too.

"Shut up Dylan! I'm not a coward!" — Maddox snarls, his anger brewing although this body language told a different story.

"Oh yeah? Then why did you leave so fast?" — I retort, chuckling a little as I teased him.

"Maybe you should worry less about me and more about the fact that you're ass naked in front of our mate, dipstick!" — Maddox chuckles, his words suddenly bringing me back to reality as my smile quickly fades away.

My gaze shooting down my body, the sheer embarrassment of it all now coursing through my veins as my traitorous cheeks heat up and instinctively, my hands fly down to cover my fully exposed dick.

I shouldn't be self conscious about being naked. It's a normal part of being a shifter, but right here, right now — I'm suddenly feeling the urge to cover up everything that I own.

"What's your name, Pup?" My eyes widening as I hear his voice, I look back up to see my mate now taking a step forward, his eyes studying me.

Damn it — that deep, seductive rumble that just came from the root of his vocal chords. Goddess almighty, that was sexy.

No, no Dylan! He's a man.. Are you really turned on by his voice? What kind of weirdo are you?

"I'm not a pup," I growl quietly as I try to my best to hold his gaze. "And my name is Dylan. What's yours?"

Watching him close the gap between with ease, I hear Gabe mumble something behind me about seeing me back at the packhouse, but I couldn't for the life of me tear my gaze away from my mate's as he continued to stalk towards me, let alone actually answer Gabe.

So I settle for just nodding my head and hoping that Gabe got the hint as my mate now stops right in front of me, that damn smirk still playing on his lips.

The fact that I had to slightly look up at him only further pissed me off. I just know the Moon Goddess is having a good laugh at my expense right now.

I didn't have much time to contemplate sawing his kneecaps off to lower his height before my breath hitched as he leaned down to fill the space between our gazes, his lips mere inches from mine, his scent washing over me.

Oh shit.

"Dylan." The behemoth whispers my name as if he were trying it out on his tongue, his confident gaze holding my nervous one as all I could do was nod to the feeling his breath fanning across my lips. "I like it."

Oh fuck me.

I swallow again, my throat bobbing with the action as his eyes travel down to my lips — my nervousness for the entire situation forcing me to suck them into my mouth, but of course my mate, clearly being the confident fuck that he is, decided to reach out and pull my bottom lip from my mouth with his thumb.

My mate's touch lingering on my bottom lip as he slides his thumb across my flesh and then smiles, a soft purr escaping him.

I think heard Maddox whine or maybe that was me.