Huh? Them?

After the strange encounter I saw between Mr. Kongpob and the lab assistant, I decided to shrug it off and proceeded with my day. One week went by and I almost forgot about it until I went to Mr. Kongpob's staff room to consult him on a few questions about the lesson and upcoming projects. I was standing outside the room, waiting for my friend, Tao when I heard voices from the staff room.

"Kongpob, could you please concentrate on your report?" The voice sounded rather familiar but I couldn't recognize who that was. All I knew was it was from a guy.

"I am." And I heard Mr. Kongpob reply with soft chuckles.

"Then why are you leaning so close to me?" The person half-yelled and his voice drips with mild annoyance and embarrassment.

"Come on, don't you like it when I'm near you?"

"No, now get back to work."

"Lying is bad, Arthit." Mr. Kongpob teasingly said and I realized that the lab assistant is most likely to be in the staff room after hearing the former call out the name 'Arthit'.

"Kongpob, what are you doing?" Moments of silence later, I heard the lab assistant squeak and something toppling over. I was a little shocked by the sounds, even more so when something tapped on my shoulder out of the blue. I quickly turned around and was relieved to see that it was Tao.

"I'm here." He said and gently knocked on the staff room's door before I could stop him. I glared at him but he didn't notice what was wrong yet and I didn't have the time to explain either.

"Come in." I heard Mr. Kongpob clear his throat before saying.

We entered the room and I saw the lab assistant sitting on a chair beside Mr. Kongpob with flushed cheeks and a glare. I briefly nodded at him when his gaze fell on me and he stretched out an awkward smile

"Sorry that it's a little messy here, we're busy with our, umm, reports just now." Mr. Kongpob said with an apologetical smile as he cleaned up his desk that was filled with books and two laptops before pulling two chairs and placing them in front of his desk, "Please sit."

"It's alright, Mr. Kongpob. I'm sorry for interrupting but we're here to ask a few things about the project and this week's lecture." I said as my friend and I sat on the chairs, taking out our notebooks. Our discussions went on as the lab assistant sat quietly in the corner of the room with his laptop, typing something, most probably the report that Mr. Kongpob had mentioned.

After the half-hour consultation, Tao and I finally stepped out of the room and he was still stuffing his books into his bag when he said, "I didn't know that the lab assistant is studying the same program as Mr Kongpob."

"Me too." I answered, kicking a few stones that were laying on the ground. It was true since the lab assistant had always been really silent but diligent with his job when we have lab classes and saw him. We didn't even know his name previously, let alone know that he and Mr. Kongpob was studying in the same program or the same university.

"The project details, I'll go over it with the others later."

"Okay." He nodded to my words, his gaze still on his notebook, and I couldn't help but ask about the rising suspicion in my mind.

"Tao?"

"Hmm?"

"Did you feel something strange when we're in Mr. Kongpob's room?" I asked and Tao's head whipped up as he stare at me with a fearful gaze.

"W-What do you mean? Did you see something in there? Is... Is it a ghost?" I rolled my eyes as I resist the urge to smack Tao in the head.

"It wasn't a ghost!"

"Then what was it? A ghoul?" He asked again and I quickened my steps, seemingly wanting to leave him behind, "Or was it a demon?"

"Idiot!" I clicked my tongue, irritated by my friend and he grabbed my arm to stop me from walking away.

"Then, what was it? Don't scare me, dude. You know how I feel about those things."

I swapped his hand off and said, "It wasn't all of that. I was talking about Mr. Kongpob and the lab assistant. Don't you feel like there's something between them?"

"That they're friends? They're studying at the same place and in the same class I assume, of course, they would be friends."

"I'm talking about something more than friends," I said and Tao was a little taken aback at first before he shrug his shoulders.

"Huh? Them?" He gasped, thinking real hard before saying, "Nope, saw nothing like that."

And before I could tell him more, he left me on the spot and walked toward the cafeteria and I was so close to throwing hands at him when he turned around to look at me.

"Why are you still standing there, come on." He waved to me but I still stood on the ground, squinting my eyes. I was still a little annoyed that he was late to the staff room and his idiocy from our previous conversations.

"Come on." But every emotion flew off when he circled his arms around my shoulder and I could feel my heart thumping very loudly.

"Still unhappy?" He whispered by my ear and I could feel my cheeks heating up as I pretended to struggle and get away from his hold.

"My bad, okay?" He said in a really soft voice and I nodded, breaking into a shy smile as he ruffled my hair and led me towards the direction of the cafeteria.